Photo
- - - - -

SATURATION - Colorful Marine Creatures from Indonesia & The Philippines

Indonesia The Philippines Lembeh Anilao macro Panasonic GH4 colorful marine life underwater

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:40 PM

My new video of small critters from the Lembeh Strait and Anilao.

Filmed with a Panasonic GH4 in a Nauticam NA-GH4 housing with either 2 x Keldan Luna 4X lights or 2 x FIX Neo 1000 DX SW II lights. I used an Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ lens and a Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. On some shots I used a Nauticam Compact Macro Converter CMC-1. Xit404 tripod.

The UHD footage was downsampled to 1920x1080, allowing me to crop and zoom. Only the wonderpus shot was stabilized.

All feedback is welcome. Particularly, are there any weak shots, or uncomfortable edits? I may submit a refined version to a festival or two.

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:49 AM

Wow, absolutely spectacular.  I can't think of anything at all to improve it, the edits were smooth, the music fits well, and the shots are uniformly wonderful.  I would say to go for the festivals, it looks great.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#3 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:52 AM

Amazing Nick!

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#4 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:56 AM

I think Nick's film demonstrates why we need 4K even exporting at 1080p. The Ken Burns effect/zoom add a nice dynamic motion on steady macro shots.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#5 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

Thanks guys.

Yes, I'd really miss that extra resolution now, for cropping/zooming/stabilization. Actually I think 6k would be great for cropping to 4k. I didn't crop any of these right down to 1080p, which starts to look not so nice. They were all scaled to some degree after the crop.

#6 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:11 AM

That was amazing! Thank you for sharing.

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

#7 bubffm

bubffm

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

I was getting worried, long time no new movies from Nick

Amazing stuff as always!

#8 troporobo

troporobo

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

Wow, beautiful work!  Great colours and dynamic range and impressively steady.  This is one of the best examples of super macro videography I have seen.  Lots of familiar subjects here for me.  This is what I will show people when they ask what I see when I go out looking for macro subjects.

#9 diggy

diggy

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Interests:U/W Photography

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:47 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Absolutely gorgeous. :notworthy:  Loved one of the edits the most, where the Nudi brings out its gills as also the beginning. Thanks for sharing. I wish i could learn to edit videos :-( :-( 

Diggy

Edited by diggy, 07 September 2017 - 11:47 PM.

SERENE I FOLD MY HANDS AND WAIT,    FOR WHAT IS MINE WILL KNOW MY FACE

Diggy          http://www.scubadiggy.com/

Canon7D, Nauticam housing, mini and large dome, canon 100mm, canon 60mm, 10-17 tokina, macro ports, extensions, two inon Z240, Nauticam SMC converter, +3, +5 diopters. Two Sola 2000, One Sola 1200, Go Pro hero 3 Black 

#10 troporobo

troporobo

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:34 PM

Hey Nick - Next time you're in Anilao (optimistically) think about giving me a shout. I'm starved for inspiration lately and would love to dive with someone who's so accomplished. Cold drinks and BBQ on me! Robert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Indonesia, The Philippines, Lembeh, Anilao, macro, Panasonic GH4, colorful, marine life, underwater