Photo
- - - - -

Nikon command dials need waking with a tap on shutter.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

Info for Nikon D750, D800, 810, 850 owners... I was always irritated by having to dab the shutter release to activate the command dials to change shutter speed and aperture. Matija Kljunak on the D850 Facebook page came up with a solution I didn't know about, namely:

"The solution was in custom settings. Using this setting the problem went away and now I can change the aperture immediately after shooting:

Custom Settings>Controls>f4 Customise Command Dials>Menus and Playback>On(Image review excluded)."

On the D800 it's f9 and the D750 it's f5.

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2198 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:47 AM

Great tip Pete!

It works on D500 too.

Can someone try it on the D4/D5 too please?

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 buddy

buddy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography, golf

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

yes on D4s: f10

Juerg
www.jvpictures.com
Nikon D4s, Nikon 16-35 /f4 VR II, 70-180,105mm f/2.8, Subal ND4 housing and ports, 2 Subtronic Fusion (flash and video lights), Sigma 15mm /f2.8, Subal 4" Minidome

#4 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

Just checked this out and both "On (Image Review Excluded)" and "Off" - the default setting - allow me to immediately change aperture/ss after shooting. The only one that doesn't is the plain "On" setting, which reassigns the command dials to scroll through photos during image review. 

Of course you have to tap the shutter to reactivate the dials once the meter goes into standby, usually 6secs default on Nikons. That setting under timers is called either "Auto Meter-Off Delay" (D700, D800)  or "Standby Timer" (D810), all are setting C2. 

Granted being able to scroll though images with the dials in playback mode (but not during auto image review) would be much easier than the d-pad on the housing so I'm gonna try it out.

Though perhaps I'm missing that people already set that for UW to begin with and this new "On (Image Review Excluded)" mode fixed an unintended consequence (that option doesn't exist on D700).

Chris

Edited by Undertow, 02 December 2017 - 12:47 PM.