8 replies to this topic

#1 Scuba_Pro

Scuba_Pro

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

Hi guys,

Ok so I will be upgrading from a 7D to full frame and have some questions. Currently I use a tokina 10-17 with a zen 100mm dome and throw a 1.4 tc on for real CFWA.

Now I love the CFWA but I also want to branch out and use a bigger dome when I upgrade for over-under etc. As I have only ever shot fisheye behind a small dome I am a bit confused as to what I want to get.

Lets base my questions on upgrading to a 5D mkiv.

I want to still keep the ability to shoot CFWA with a fisheye, for reefs and any big fish that will come close. For this can you use tokina shaved with the full frame and mini dome?

However I also want to shoot behind a big dome, if I kept the tokina will it work behind a large dome also? Or should I be looking at say the sigma 15mm for shooting behind both domes OR should I be looking at having either the sigma or tokina with a nice rectilinear behind a large dome?

Basically I am a little so confused if my tokina will suffice on a full frame and behind a large dome. Do fisheyes even work that well behind large domes?

Excuse the babbling but any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1856 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:34 AM

Hey!

Ive found that the Tokina just doesnt work well with on an FX sensor camera with a 100 dome although Im comparing Nikon bodies: D500 and D800. Not tried it behind a 230 dome but certainly image quality was poor even ignoring the vignetting caused by the 100 dome.

The Sigma 15mm works well with a DP230 dome.

For rectilinear (I use the Nikkor 16-35) you definitely need the 230 dome.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:21 AM

I went through the exact same thing. I upgraded from the 7D with the Tokina 10-17 to the 5Dm4. I agonized over it for a long time and made myself (and others) crazy. I eventually sold the 10-17 and bought the Canon 8-15. I also went with the Nauticam 140mm dome. After reading Alex Mustard's article, I decided that 100mm would be a bit small. My concern was also that I didn't want to give up the CFWA. I just returned from my first trip with the new system, and the new port/lens will still focus with the subject touching the port. I think it's a great combination. The only downside, is that there really isn't any zoom with the 8-15; it's just a 15. You can shoot full circle at 8, but it's either that or 15. Ok, the other downside is that I had to spend a lot of money and then justify it to my wife! 

I kept my Kenko 1.4TC but haven't yet tried it underwater. I've played with the above water, and it seems to focus quickly and give sharp results with the 8-15 above water. I'm going to get the necessary extension ring and zoom gear so I can use the TC on my next trip, which will be a big animal trip.

I hope that helps. 

Edited by JohnnyQuest, 08 December 2017 - 05:23 AM.

#4 Scuba_Pro

Scuba_Pro

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:23 AM

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply,

So the tokina 10-17mm type II that backscatter sells does not work well for full frame? I am a bit confused, is this lens is essentially the same as the one I already have or different.

I would jump right into the 15mm sigma just concerned I would miss the wider 10-15mm end of the tokina I use now as I shoot a lot at those focal lengths.

Anyone have any experience of the 8-15mm fisheye behind both the DP230 or DP100?

Thanks,

Luke

#5 Scuba_Pro

Scuba_Pro

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:30 AM

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the reply, very helpful, I posted just after you had so missed it.

Ok so you cannot shoot at 10mm on the 8-15/5dmkiv and have the same image effect as 10mm on the tokina/7D? If that is the case I am not too concerned about the full circular fisheye effect at 8mm and would go for the sigma 15mm.

Thanks,

#6 JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:25 AM

At any focal length < 14mm, you'll start to see black at the corners. You could shoot there, but you'd have to crop the shot afterwards.

This link shows how the image will look at various focal lengths:

https://www.the-digi...sheye-Lens.aspx

I believe that with the 1.4TC, you will have a useful range of about 15 - 21 before you'd see the black corners.

#7 Scuba_Pro

Scuba_Pro

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

Aha thanks, makes sense.

Any reason you opted for the 8-15 instead of the sigma 15?

#8 JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:31 AM

Because the Canon is more expensive!!  :)

I read a couple of reviews between the two that say that the Canon is a bit sharper. That may be imaginary, and even if so, it's probably negligible. Actually, since I plan on using it with the 1.4TC, the zoom function of the Canon should come in handy. That's really the only reason.

Plus I found my 8-15 used for about the price of the 15 new.

#9 Scuba_Pro

Scuba_Pro

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:35 AM

Thanks! So I am leaning towards the 15mm sigma with a DP230.

Do people regularly have both a FE and rectilinear in their kit bags?