3 replies to this topic

#1 Bevanj

Bevanj

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:05 AM

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to underwater SLR game, and have a nauticam housing for my 5dmk3.

I've just pulled out a M16 blank in order to fit a vacuum valve. So - I've now got a single M16 port blank sitting here.

The housing also came with two capped nikonos bulkheads fitted which I don't plan to use.

Given I'm not planning on using nikonos style sync cables, will I lessen my chances of leaks by ordering another m16 blank and fitting them where the nikonos bulkheads were?

Cheers, and Merry Xmas everyone!
Bevan

#2 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

Factory installed plugs should be OK if left alone. For example, I have never touched the plugs in my older Seacam housings that were originally intended for a "pilot" light switch. Some are > 10 years old. More recent housings use this same hole for the lens release. Keep in mind that there may be more than one potential leakage pathway in a bulkhead whereas a plug has just one O-ring.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#3 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:07 PM

I went through the same considerations with my Subal housing and the unused sync bulkheads.  I removed the sync bulkheads, sold them for a nice penny, and plugged the holes with screw in plugs.  That was over 2 years ago and I have had no problems.  As long as the O rings are new and lightly lubricated when you put in the plugs, all should be well.  Always inspect your housing, and do a vacuum check, before each dive.

#4 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

One bonus you mentioned is that you put in a vacuum port, so you can confirm the seal on any plug you fit. Nauticam seems to change the port layout from model to model and even over time, so be sure the strobe bulkheads are indeed M16.

My housing came with the Nikonos bulkhead in place, but the P.O. provided the plugs for the ports so I was able to remove the bulkhead and plug the port when I went to optical sync.

However, it took me quite a bit of digging, and eventually measuring things to find my right port (viewed from the back) was M14 (Nikonos bulkhead) and the left port (hydrophone) was M16. Made for a bit of a decision when I bought my Leak Sentinel. I ended up using the M16 port as that leaves my M14 free to put the bulkhead back if I want wired strobes again.

<edit> I removed the Nikonos bulkhead when I went optical rather than leave it in simply because there's not a lot of space in the housing, and the wires tended to get in the way unless I plugged in the hot shoe plug. I figured I'd rather just have it all out as I can verify the port plug integrity quite well with the Leak Sentinel.

It sure beats having to leave the housing in a tub of water for extended periods just to be sure nothing you did causes a leak!

Edited by sunnyboy010101, 28 December 2017 - 06:29 PM.