4 replies to this topic

#1 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:33 PM

Hi all,

For those that have been to Jardines de la Reina aboard any of the liveaboards, do you have any recommendations/guidelines for tipping? For example, many of the liveaboards talk about doing extra activities for "a generous tip," but I'm wondering what a generous tip is to the Cuban guides? Just want to be sure to bring enough cash (will exchange at airport for CUC). I also realize that tipping can be a very individual thing or in some cases cultural. I am North American, FWIW.

#2 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

I just returned from a week on the Jardines Aggressor.  It was an absolutely amazing boat with an incredible crew.  Nothing but the most positive reviews possible for them based on my trip.  We had a couple who had done three other aggressors last year and they agreed this boar was by far the best they had been on. 

The Aggressor folks recommended tipping at $400.00 per diver, which is a little less than 10% of the $4500 retail price.  I got a special deal on a last minute spot at $3,000.

But I tipped $450.00.  I can tell you that, as hard as the crew worked to make the trip great, it was worth every penny.  Because of the economy, the people on the island have very little and the tips are divided equally among the crew of 8.  

The Aggressor did not offer any "special services" to any individual photographer, or, at  least, no one on our trip asked for anything like that.  Maybe some of the other liveaboards do.  That might require an extra payment or tip.

Enjoy your trip!  The diving was fantastic.

Also, the Aggressor allowed you to tip in $U.S.  So no need to exchange for CUC and pay the 10% extra penalty.

#3 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for your response. I eventually found something on the Avalon fleet's website that echoed your sentiments. We're planning for 10-15%. 

#4 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2357 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:42 PM

Tipped about 15%. I think 10% is fair just about anywhere.

Everything in Cuba seemed more expensive than I had anticipated.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#5 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Thanks again for the input. I tipped based on what Avalon suggested, which was actually more than what our boat's hostess suggested. Was happy to do so and would have tipped more if I had more cash; the trip was that good!