• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:17 AM

Which one of these photos do you prefer? Why?

1) Posted Image

2) Posted Image

3) Posted Image

4) Posted Image

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Off Roading, Rock Climbing, Mt. Biking, etc...

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:00 AM

#3 is my favorite in this group. I like that it is a little bit darker, and the coral is in focus more in this shot.

Depth of field is a bit too narrow in the other photo's for my taste.

#3 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:09 AM

Number 2

then 4, 3, 1

I like number 2 because the "subject" of the shot, which I am taking as the expression on the triple-fin's face, is captured the best. The plane of sharp focus is parallel to the plane of the fish's face, the pectoral fins are in the nicest "pose", and the OOF background gives the fish some depth, we can see the fish coming out of the image as it pulls in to focus. I also like the "engagement", the fish is looking at us...

Four loses out with the assymetry over the body of the fish, while 3 is just boring (IMHO :wink: ) ... technically sharper, but a straight down, and hence flat, shot. I like the symmetry of the fish, thus the angled view of the fish in one does not do it for me, although it does have the focal plane nicely positioned across the face of the fish.

Did you find your lens cap??
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#4 jdaley

jdaley

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:10 AM

Image #1. I like the way it seems the fish is looking at the camera. It seems more personal and more natural that the others.

James
Nikon D2Xs, Subal Housing, Nikon 10.5mm, 16mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm and 105mm Micro, Dual Inon Z-220, Dual Sea&Sea YS-250Pro

www.clickndive.com

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6180 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:20 AM

#1 I like this one because it uses what i like to call the 30 degree rule. The fish facing the camera at an offset angle. Gives the photo depth and the fish more personality. #3 is flat like Craig says.
#2 is pretty cool as well. SOmething different and it works well but i like #1 more

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:41 AM

I like the composition of #1 the best. The diagonal axis is more pleasing to my eye.

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:46 AM

I like number 2 best, although I think that a slightly tighter crop on number 1 would make it a stunning print, with the face really popping out at you. Very nice, but I'd love to see them on the Kodak!
Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#8 LanceG

LanceG

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:53 AM

I like the second photograph. The composite is symmetrical with the four coral heads appearing equally spaced with the subjectís head as the point of interested. Number four photograph is a close second but the background appears to distract from the subject. Number one appears to distort the head or snout of the subject. Number three is okay it just does not leap out at the viewer.

However, I feel that all four photographs are keepers. Providing a differ impression of the subject for different viewers.

Lance :D

#9 richorn

richorn

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:15 PM

Number One gets my vote.
Richard

#10 whitehead

whitehead

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Lottery Tickets

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:15 PM

#1 (because the DOF matches the head shot perfectly, accenting just the head)
and # 3 (because its technically perfect)

#11 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 07:02 PM

I'd also go with the first shot. Course I love goofy expressions and this one's really wonderful.
#3 is a great example of keeping the whole scene on an even plane with the lens. Very even DOF. Nice shot.

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#12 chrism

chrism

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:38 PM

#1, prefer the depth of field drawing attention to the eyes (which are on one of the thirds) and the body brings my attention down to where you want it.

The symmetry of 2 and 4 is "boring, Sydney, boring" (name the film reference) and 3, looking down, just doesn't work for me
Canon 300D, Aquatica A300, Dual YS90-DXs, Canon 18-55 mm, Sigma 15 mm FE, Canon 50 mm Macro

#13 lawrence1131

lawrence1131

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 02:46 AM

Hi James
Number One as it is more dynamic in composition
Cheers
Lars

#14 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:37 AM

Number One for Composition ... not straight inline with the image makes it fill the frame more.
Number 3 for Contrast, however it's a little dark looking, but very nice.
Number 4 for Focus, i like these guys shot lengthways like that so the eyes really stand out when they are sharp compared to the rest of the body which drops out as the DOF diminishes.

composition is a personal opininion of these guys, i'll have to show you what I have been trying with them, but they are so much fun to photograph.

Great job, btw i liked your images in ya gallery too.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#15 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 06:24 AM

Number one for composition. The focus on the eyes draws you there and the thirds is well used. Negative space is also pleasing.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted © Todd C Mintz

#16 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:18 AM

This weekend I had a go at the same triplefins on the same reef. Here is my shot, taken with 105mm with a +4 dioptre. F32 @ 1/30th sec. I would prefer the triplefin slighty higher in the frame - but I was working at pretty high magnification with a slow shutter speed and this is the best I did:

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#17 SharkyUAE

SharkyUAE

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photography, 4x4 driving

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:29 AM

Number 1, perfect composition

The others are too straight in the frame

Alex, Why not just crop it slightly and reduce the amount of blue space keeping the same proportions.

I have never tried super-macro using dioptres, depth of field must be really difficult and technically challenging
Gordon T. Smith

#18 frosterrj

frosterrj

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 06:37 PM

1 is my favorite for a few of reasons:
1) foca point fo the photo is not in the center of the frame, and is diagonal.
2) all foreground is in focus
3) it complys more with the 'get close, get low, and shoot up' rules. Others are more from on top of the fish
4) more personality!

robert

#19 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:27 PM

#1 has the strongest composition. The eyes draw you in and make a connection. I also really like the diagonal composition. It looks more natural than the vertical or horizontal lines in the others. The only reason its not a slam dunk is because the DOF in the others (#4) is better. But the eyes and face are in focus so its pretty good.

#3 has an appealing s curve that looks very natural but the face and eyes seem more detached than in #1.

Edit: Ok I didn't go on to the second page before posting....I take it back, I like Alex's better. The closeup of the eyes is quite dramatic as is the contrast with the blue background. I still like #1 and it shows the animal in his environment better (from Alex's you can't tell the scale or the shape of the creature) but the personality is more dramatic in Alex's.

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#20 Ponsui

Ponsui

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 06:25 PM

I like No.1 better James. As some people have said, it has a lot of the qualities of a pic. that stands out: Nice flexible composition, interesting subject face, good overall technical quality. I would do a bit dodge and burn to separate the subject from the background, and maybe a tighter crop, but you have a winner there!
Peace,
David.