• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Honu

Joe Honu

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 09:42 PM

Hello everyone, some assistance if you please. Recently purchased a SONY P-9 digital camera (4 megapix) w/ marine pack, filter, and tray. Opted for Sony's 45w marine pack lamp instead of the 20w for better lighting.
Problem: many of my shots turn out fuzzy. I have good bouyance control for the shots...but few are turning out. Additionally, moving subjects creat a significant problem. I have the camera set on autofocus (spot) with the illuminator off. Others with MUCH OLDER 1.3 megapixel camera are getting better images. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Be kind to Honu's!
Joe

#2 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 05:12 AM

To start with you may find that you're getting too close to the subject. I use an Onlympus 3040 with housing and find that if I get closer than 2 ft from the subject without switchin to macro mode everything's out of focus too... this could be a problem for you too. lighting may be affecting the autofocus of the camera, are you using a torch/light as well as the strobe to immuminate the subject. I have a small 2 x AAA battery lamp (made by Underwater Kinetics) which is on a bendy arm on the housing so I can illuminate darm objects to give the camera something to focus on!

As for the moving objects causing a few problems, that's always going to be a problem until you get used to following fish etc with the camera even after hitting the shutter to allow for the lag

good luck with th photos!

#3 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 07:42 AM

Jim,

I am not familiar with that camera, but don't you have some sort of focus confirmation signal? Are you land shots coming out in focus?

If not I would agree that you are probably moving in closer than your focus limit.

The only other thing I could think would be if you are using a dome port without a close-up diopter to correct the curvature of the dome.

#4 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 07:52 AM

Bob,

I think you've misunderstood my post, I'm not having ANY problems with my focussing! it's all fine for me. it was the other guy who started this thread I was replying to! The minimum focal length for the Olympus camera underwater is about 30 cm, so anything closer will not be in focus, but I've got a macro lense for that kind of thing..

Jim

#5 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 08:08 AM

oops, its the drugs :D that post was supposed to be titled to Joe. Sorry Jim

#6 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Damselfish

• Pip