Photo
- - - - -

Doing it in camera. Is it worth the effort?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:52 PM

So alex .. my images are not my own ... do i need to get a photo release from the guys at Olympus ?

I take offense ! I can't shoot RAW just yet .... i know that comment is just a jest .. but ust cause someone doesnt have the money to buy a camera that shoots RAW doesn't make them at the whim of their manufacturer.

my photos are very much my own, and i don't say yours shot in RAW are very much the work of the guys at ... Adobe ... and Nikon RAW converter! even if you are arty at the begining .... see works both ways !

Thats why i liked this thread at first it showed that the starting image is where it's at .. not what the processing does to it afterwards. :wink:
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#22 Helge Suess

Helge Suess

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 11:10 PM

Hi!

Risking another "detonation", I've got to admit, that I'm not the extreme purist. There's just the phrase "photo-realism" somewhere in the back of my mind that keeps me from applying too much PhotoShop on an image.
I for myself try to brush up the image that it looks the way I thought it should look when I pushed the button (sometimes there isn't enough PhotoShop available to achieve this ;-).
I try to show others what I've seen during a dive (and I hope to do this in an interesting and nice looking way). It might be at an unusual angle, point of view etc. or using light to create a special effect. I for myself, like to create images where others would be able to say "I haven't looked at it this way yet" or "I completely missed to see this beautiful xxx at all, I always thought it's some dumb stuff". Nevertheless I try to create images others would be able to experience themself (at least sort of) next time during a dive. This gives me some limits in applying image processing.
If you want to create a piece of art standing for its own, you're not limited by any means of image processing at all and I agree that it's completely legal to do it either in camera or in post processing, whatever is best to do the job.
You just have to cope with the "any idiot could apply a few PS actions" sayings by hard core sliders. The mass of badly processed digital images hanging around on websites proofes the contrary.

Helge ;-)=)
Olympus E-5 in UK-GERMANY housing and a bag full of glass ...