Photographers - be careful

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:41 PM

I on the other hand don't have to worry about that and after 3 days of biting my tongue I calmly told the arrogant ass to clean up his act.
It came as quite a shock to him that someone would actually have the audacity to challenge his photographic and diving edicate.
Now make no misatke he is an excellent diver and photographer but he had simply lost the plot and getting the shot was his only concern to the detriment of the reef and other divers.

As we would say back home 'Fair play to ye boy!'
I do believe Jacques Cousteau wasn't adverse to using the odd stick of dynamite or two in the good old days, to blow up chunks of reef if they got in the way of camera shoots.

Wny not name and shame this arrogant ass...you'll be doing him a favour.....he can look on his 'name n shame' as part of his (much needed) re-education of where his place should be in the natural order of things....and you'll be playing a valuable role in curing that arrogance...

:)
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#42 rameus

rameus

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Dive guiding, challenging dive spots, Tec/Trimix diving, CCR diving, big fish, sharks, whales, rays

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:48 AM

I have not read the study but when you go diving on a liveaboard and where you are expected to see nice things (coral formations or fish) people (sometimes I do, too) get too close and the damage you do with a tank banging on a coral is way bigger than some damage which is done by nature (storms or similar).

Besides that a lot of people doing photography underwater just don't know how to do it. It is so easy to get an underwater camera (for not that much money anymore) and you go down there without knowing your bouyancy and just kick against hard- and/or softcorals which always makes me quite angry. It's the same with an other simple and basic rule: just DONT TOUCH ANYTHING down there! As simple as that would it be if photographers knew how to control ther bouyancy and therefore get some nice pictures...

Quality-Diving online: Want to know more about unique dive spots or how to get shooting there? GET IN TOUCH!
Quality-Divingon Facebook: Follow on Facebook and get the latest news about diving marine awareness and conservation
Quality-Diving@TWITTER: for news about marine awareness, conservation in diving and unique diving trips around the world

#43 Mbarretts20

Mbarretts20

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

I would imagine that most people on here want reefs to survive so that we'll continue having things to see and photograph, but it always irks me that the first post is a "well, they can't possibly mean US! they must mean tourists with point and shoots".

I have been all over the world, and can tell you that the fact that you've completed your dive certs nor the fact you invested in a housing means you know anything about conservation, conscientious diving, or much else. I've seen divers trample reefs, kill species, and yes- I can tell you stories about Cousteau that no one else has heard- destroy the environment for a shot, or through negligence.

Anyway- be aware of what YOU are doing, tourist or diver.

#44 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

I can tell you stories about Cousteau that no one else has heard...

We might have heard them, nonetheless.

Many of us have sucked eggs for a long time...

#45 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

Yes, including the baby seal kidnap.

We might have heard them, nonetheless.

Many of us have sucked eggs for a long time...

#46 Mbarretts20

Mbarretts20

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

That's refreshing...I'm new on here, but I have run in Cousteau's circles...many folks have a hero adoration for him, and it's nice to know there are those out there who question what he did. (Then again, to put his actions in context, there weren't rules/laws/etc to control what he did...It is hard to judge a pioneer). However, the historic office in Truk tells of several large shipping containers that were shipped out when JC left the lagoon...they bemoan what was lost, and never seen again.

Anyway-

By the way, I had never heard the "I can teach your grandmother to suck eggs" line- but it appears in a Ren and Stimpy cartoon- not knowing what it meant, it's a pretty hilarious saying.

#47 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

I have held Hans Hass in greater regard than Cousteau for a long time, although Cousteau was a man of his time and that should not be forgotten.