• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 06:33 AM

Hello I bought in January a Nikon F4 camera in an Aquatica Housing with a sea&sea ys-120 strobe. Until now I made some beautiful pictures with this combination. Today I was testing the camera and I was observing when setting the camera to A(perture priority) mode and using a strobe the shutterspeed stays just on 1/60 sec although the syncspeed of the camera lays between 1/60-1/250 sec. the shutterspeed didn't change when changing the aperture. Wen using no strobe the shutterspeed will change. questions: 1 is this normal or is my camera defect? 2. If this is normal does it meen that I can just shooting at 1/60 sec if I use a strobe?

#2 fdog

fdog

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 05:05 PM

Assuming you're shooting TTL. And a hot shoe connection with the camera in the housing.

Set for A, the lowest shutter speed for this set up is 1/60 because of front curtain sync. Perhaps where you're testing it's dark enough to require 1/60 or less, even with the lens wide open?

Getting sync speeds less than 1/60 requires rear curtain sync, which is set from a Nikon Speedlight (not set from the camera).

So if it's kind of darkish (for the ISO setting), it will bottom out at 1/60.

If I'm totally off base, and it's bright enough, check continuity for the SP (Speedlight Present) terminal from the hot shoe to the strobe. If the wire's broken somewhere, or a bulkhead pin is bent, the camera will dump out of TTL mode, because it thinks there is no TTL capable strobe attached.

All the best, James

#3 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:19 AM

Hello James,
thanks for your reply. Yes the strobe is set to ttl, the syncord is ok I have tested a sea&sea, Ikelite ds125, and a subtronic mega strobe they all gave a shutterspeed of 1/60 sec wenn shooting A mode. Even wenn using the Nikon SB-25 strobe it is 1/60 sec. I can shoot in a bright area next to a lamp it still is 1/60 sec, just wen I change to manual and shutterpriority mode it is set to 1/250 sec. wen set to P mode it is also 1/60 sec. Does the camera just fool me and will it use a faster shutterspeed and is just indikating that 1/60 is the slowest shutter speed or am I hooked at the 1/60 sec ?

Rob

#4 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 07:19 AM

James was right I ttested the camera today in sunny conditions and the shutterspeed went up to high and lowered as I went to higher f-stop.
sorry

Rob

#5 fdog

fdog

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 09:05 AM

Rob, glad to help out. Your F4 in the Aquatica housing is a great tool...enjoy!

All the best, James