2 replies to this topic

#1 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:45 PM

Last year I flooded my trusty Subal housing :(

I had it serviced/repaired when I returned from that trip. Despite having all the electronics and some controls replaced, since then I have had nothing but grief - gears mis-aligned and electronics not working. Everytime I send it away I don't get it back until the 11th hour and when I go to use it, it seems to be worse and worse. For example last time I got it back the day before flying out to Vanuatu, but when it was assembled the strobe failed to fire. I found the wiring was a mess, and had to get a (lovely) ni-vanutan who knew nothing about housings and could speak no english to re-do the soldering and extend too-short wires (!?!) so I could get some photos in the second week of my trip. Anyway, enough venting :(

I'm hoping that someone can recommend a subal service centre they have dealt with that could be trusted to effectively and honestly "renovate" my housing so that I can actually enjoy taking photos again!

cheers
Lndr

#2 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:55 AM

I have found that Subal themselves are very responsive. If I email europe@subal.com I get an answer pretty quickly. There is probably a similar address in the US. Why not email them with your question?

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#3 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:16 PM

Concurring with Cor, you should contact Subal in Austria directly.

They should be able to tell you whether the housing is worth rebuilding (which is what it sounds like you're looking at). If that turns out to be the course you take, then I'm confident that the people who made this housing would be the best people to undertake it.

Frogfish
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.