8 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:12 AM

I was photographing some Periclimenes imperator shrimp on a sea cucumber in the Solomon Islands last month, and saw a little piece of... string waving back and forth. Upon closer inspection I discovered that it was a ghost shrimp! The Debelius book doesn't identify any of them by species (other than to say Caprellid sp. Any ideas on sources of info on these guys?

Posted Image
http://echeng.com/ga...46&exhibition=4
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:36 AM

One of my favorite groups even if they're not worms! Unfortunately, no specimen = no reliable id. :) Even some of my best microscope shots with good DOF & showing every last spine only get tentative names from experts. I don't think yours can be taken past Caprellidae but I'll past it on to some pod guys to be sure. Did you notice that the caprellid seems to be attached to a brittle star arm rather than the cuke?
Leslie

#3 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 07 October 2004 - 11:22 AM

Hi Eric -- Our caprellid guy, Todd Haney, said the picture has enough detail to eliminate several genera but not enough to actually figure out what genus it does belongs to. The smaller the specimen is = the more we need specimens to do ids. Sorry.
Leslie

#4 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 11:24 AM

Can I just say that it's really cool to have a "Caprellid guy" :)
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#5 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:36 PM

Cool stuff, Eric!

Leslie - Is this creature related to what is commonly called a Sea Spider? Reason I ask is because I've got a picture of a little critter that's kinda similar to what Eric photographed but I've never been able to find an ID for it either.

IMAGE REMOVED

BTW Eric, I found this little guy at our super secret muck place here in Florida.
Lazaro Ruda
Soap box: TheLivingSea.com

#6 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:44 PM

Cool, Laz! There's a whole section on Pycnogonids in the Debelius Crustacea Guide of the World book. Pretty cool little critters!!
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#7 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 04:52 PM

Yup, another one of those never to be identified pycnogonids. Looks like a different species than the one you posted earlier. Just think of how many critters you could have named after you if only you'd collect a few! :wink:
Cheers, Leslie

#8 laz217

laz217

Salty Pirate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:11 PM

Eric -- Isn't it funny how some of the neatest creatures we've found looked first like a piece of trash in the water? LOL! Thanks for the info on the book. I'll definitely have to get a copy.

Leslie -- What if that's the last pair of species left on the planet? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I was responsible for the extinction of a species. I can do without fame. I'll show you where I found it if you're ever in south Florida but you gotta promise me you'll put him/her back. :)
Lazaro Ruda
Soap box: TheLivingSea.com

#9 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 05:36 PM

The last pair on earth? Maybe if you were on the last bit of coral in existence but not on a healthy reef, thank goodness. And thanks for the offer but I don't think we could ever get in the water together - I'd be stealing your models as soon as you were done with them & you'd be emptying my collecting bags while I was doing it! :)
L