• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 05:08 PM

I finished my trip report on my adventure in the Coco Islands. If interested you can see it at

www.rkjarman.com

I now have bothe the trip report and the photo album up and running. Hope you enjoy, and remember, I am not an author!:D

#2 snoack

snoack

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for sharing and a late Happy Birthday

Sabine

BTW: Although you complained about the camera your pics gave me a very good idea of what to expect if i should ever make it to Cocos Island

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2290 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 06:51 PM

Just got back from Cocos myself. Most unbeliveable diving trip I have ever been on
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#4 NitroLiq

NitroLiq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 10:42 AM

Bob,

Really enjoyed the trip report and photos (good lunchtime-at-work reading :D What were your final impressions of using the G2 underwater? Just curious as I've been looking into a G2 setup myself (If only I could afford a D-30!).

Pete

#5 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 04:57 PM

Hi Pete, thanks!

I think the jury is still out on the G2. I came from a housed SLR and a Nikonos so the focus and lag issues were pretty big for me.

I think that for macro shooting and close up stationary subjects it is going to be fantastic. Unfortunately, the Coco's is not a place for this type of shooting, and with a flooded strobe, I dont think it would be fair of me to really give it a thumbs up or down yet.

I will take it on a trip to Bonaire in December hopefully, and that is probably where I will really be able to test it out.

I think ultimately, I will switch to a D60 housed system, or perhaps even back to a film housing setup. UGGGG

But, I am going to really give the G@ a hard workout next trip. I know what is capable of doing on land, so I believe that with practice it should be able to get some stunners underwater!

#6 NitroLiq

NitroLiq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 06:37 PM

Great! Looking forward to seeing the Bonaire pics/report. Hope you can convince the wife to let you buy the D-60 :D I was looking at Eric Cheng's D-60 shots on the Bahamas photo trip....awesome!! :) Jim Watt's D30 shots are nice, too...both cameras are way out of my price range though, especially since I'm not a frequent diver at the moment and am just getting into photography. I've been leaning towards the G2 as a happy medium for both above and underwater. I know that even if I don't get it in the water often, it'll be useful for my web design work. Thanks again for sharing the dive pics/report.

--Pete

#7 NitroLiq

NitroLiq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 05:19 AM

BTW, That white tip on the reef pic...he had a look on his face "Come one step closer, I'll bite...I swear I will!" :D