• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 06:52 AM

I've made this adaptation to my PT-010 housing. This is to try and reduce the backscatter caused by the cameras own flash going off each time just to trigger the external strobe. Using some glass fibre (commercially available) in a silicone rubber tube attached to the sensor on the strobe via a clip and held against the housing flash diffuser by means of a neaprene patch I have managed to get the external strobe to sync properly without the interference of the camera's own flash. Comments most welcome. I'll be taking it in the open water at the weekend... pictures to follow (It works fine in the pool btw).

the UK 2AAA light is used as a focussing light for night dives, and dark dives (bear in mind I'm a UK diver :-)

the bendy arm(s) came from a local DIY store for 10!!!

jim

[img]Epoque http://www.musical.clara.net/PT-010-housin...jpg[/img]:D;):)

#2 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 06:53 AM

try again!

#3 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 07:29 AM

Hi,
Your setting look effective.
Do you find the Epoque ES-150 strong enough? (I ask cause I consider to buy it)
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#4 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 12:32 AM

I'ts effective enough for what i want, as I take all my shots in UK waters the furthest away from the subject I get is about 2m and it's ok for that. I guess I'm going to have to get something better when I start with wide angle shots.. but for the time being this one is fine!

#5 garciaign

garciaign

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 02:10 PM

In fact, I'm looking for something similar for my epoque and sony P1. I have trouble making it flash under some conditions. What is the fiber originally for? Diameter? Where did you find it? How is connected to the built in camera strobe?Thanks in advance

#6 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:58 AM

Hi, the glass fibre is just the stuff we use to make cold light sources for lararoscopic surgery (I work in a Hospital) it's, I think, just a bundle of 20M glass fibre, I can probably find more details.

it's attached to the internal stobe behind the neoprene patch with a cable tie at the moment,.... once I know it works well in the open water I'll make a better attachment!

#7 garciaign

garciaign

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 12:10 AM

Hi,
I've found another guy with similar problem.
Take a look to http://www.kanausa.c...ital/diego4.htm

It's in spanish, but if anyone after trying with an online translator has problems, just ask me.

Do you think the tipical fiber cable used for routers would work?

#8 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 05:35 AM

ok, so i tried the camera at the weekend. unfortunately, the silt was not on my side (vis was down to 1m), but here's an example of the shots i was getting, it's nice to have the side-light effect without having to use the internal strobe. I'm going to have a second polycarbonate flash diffuser made with a hole in it (like the one on the link you sent) and us that next time and see how it goes..!

#9 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 05:37 AM

I'm going to try and find some router cable and see if it'll work, good idea

jim