• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mandarinfish

mandarinfish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 10:26 AM

In my search for the freckle faced blenny in the Solomon Islands last month, I encountered this blenny in the surge zone:

Posted Image

It was about 5cm in length, but I have no photos of the body. The closest ID I've seen is the Delicate Blenny (Glyptoparus delicatulus). Anyone have better ideas?

Thanks!

#2 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 01 November 2004 - 12:07 PM

Hi Linda -- I noticed your blenny shot last week & spent some time trying to put a name on it. Failed miserably.... just couldn't match it to anything in my books or on the web. I don't think it's Glyptoparus delicatulus as the head appendages aren't the same, the coloring's diferent, and the mouths are different. Genera like Blenniella or Istiblennius looked better but I ended up leaving it as blenny unidentified. Let's hope a blenny expert will take a look at it! Good luck, Leslie

#3 sugar

sugar

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 09:25 PM

blue spotted blenny?

#4 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:19 PM

Which blue-spotted? Blenniella caudolineata? The facial pattern is different & it has a distinctive head fin that Linda's little guy doesn't seem to have ( at least it doesn't show). Marli's awfully good with fish ids; maybe she can put a name to this. Otherwise Linda's just going to have to go back for some more pics!
Leslie

#5 mandarinfish

mandarinfish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:55 PM

Thanks Leslie and Sugar, for taking the time! Blenniella and Istiblennius are good leads; at least I can get a little further in the search that way. But, it's awfully hard to compare my photo with those I'm finding, of umm... dead specimens.. I know I don't have enough showing of him to make a good identification. It's possible it is a juvenile phase as well, I guess.

I will keep looking... Thanks!