15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:19 AM

Hi William,

Next time you have a problem posting photos, please go back an edit the original post, instead of starting a new one. I deleted your duplicate post for you.

Thanks
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:28 AM

Woops. i thought I did edit instead of reposting.

Thanks
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes

#4 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 15 November 2004 - 03:12 PM

Hi William -- Is the fish or the diver supposed to be the focal point? All the various parts of the images are fine but they don't add up well, at least for me. My eyes keep getting drawn away to the diver despite the fact I'd really prefer to focus on the fish!
Leslie

#5 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:19 PM

Yes the fish is supposed to be the focus point. I can see your point though. Do you think that the problem is that the diver does not go with the fish or that the composition is just off.

I wanted to get closer and have the fish fill up more of the frame but I was not skilled enough.
William

#6 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:18 PM

Try a tight crop, leaving out the diver in the background but leaving in the tall sponges, and with the fish slightly off center. The fish will become the focal point. the nice thing about Photoshop is that you can experiment with different crops until you get the shot you want.
Have fun, Leslie

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:36 PM

Hi William,

I understand the effect you were going for with this shot. You could have acheived it by pulling in MUCH closer to the fish and having the diver further back in the frame.

I would also have tried to use single strobe lighting to help isolate the subject fish from teh background. It's not easy with a brown fish on a brown background though...

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#8 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:01 PM

Hi William,

I understand the effect you were going for with this shot.  You could have acheived it by pulling in MUCH closer to the fish and having the diver further back in the frame.

I would also have tried to use single strobe lighting to help isolate the subject fish from teh background.  It's not easy with a brown fish on a brown background though...

Cheers
James

Yes, I was trying to get closer but the curent was just too strong. I start off very close but by the time I had everything set up I had drifted away. You can see the diver holding on to the wreck; he was holding on for a good reason.......

Does it look like I was using two strobes? I guess DS-125 is too wide angle beem. Because that is exactly what I was trying to do do with the strobe. I was holding the stobe close to the fish and slightly behind it pointed slightly toward the camera.

Actually I was planning on being closer and every time the strobe ended up in the frame so I had to clone it out.

Posted Image
William