4 replies to this topic

#1 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 09:15 AM

Hello,

how do you store your fuji velviafilms at home and on holliday? Do you succeed in getting them stored below 15C and what happens when the temperatures get above 15C?

Rob

#2 fdog

fdog

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 03:05 PM

Rob, I store my film cold to keep the color balance from drifting.

Generally I buy a brick of film just before a trip or (in the past) assignment, that way, all the emulsion is from the same batch and has the same balance. I don't bother with keeping the film refridgerated for the duration of the trip. Since the trips aren't really that long, the drift is small, and it's all drifting at the same rate. So I generally don't (OK, never) get all anal about keeping it cold on a trip. Just carefull to keep it from getting hot.

When I return, I'll throw the "leftovers" into the freezer (stuff that won't be used for a looong time) or the refrigerator (stuff that has a good chance of being used in a month or two).

Or if I come across a screaming deal on an emulsion, I'll buy the lot and freeze/refrigerate it for later use.

It's not like we're indoors in a studio doing a fashon shoot, where all the lighting is controled and repeatable. There, film from different batches or that's "old" or "too new" will have different color casts that are a PITA for the publisher to adjust for. We're going underwater, where depth/vis/sediment etc. all change the color balance far more than the drift of a weeks' lack of cold storage. Even outdoors, time of day changes the color temperature far more than the usual drift from ageing.

As I said, I'll buy a brick from the same batch just to keep gross variances down and be assured of the starting point. All film ages and drifts; it's just that Professional films are released for sale at a point where the color balance matches very tight specifications, and they're refrigerated to keep them there as long as possible.

Freeze or refridgerate, I personally have noticed no difference between the two as far a quality. There is the time lag waiting for the film to come up to room temperatures, though, frozen does take more planning.

All the best, James

#3 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 03:11 PM

I'll agree with James.

I buy a brick or two of Velvia 50, Provia or E100VS at a time, and keep them in the fridge. I take them out to pack them the night before I leave, then leave them at room temperature for the duration of the trip. I've never worried about keeping film refrigerated while away.

Which reminds me, I need to go pull the film out of the fridge in preparation for Curaao tomorrow. :) :o
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#4 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 02:46 AM

Until now I always have shoot with Kodak 100ebx (extra colour) where I didn't bother on the storage beacause they aren't professional films.
Do you think the colours wil get better using Fuji Velvia 50( makro) 100 (wide angle) or Kodak 100 Professional when you compare them with the amature kodak or fuji slide films? Wich film has your preference?
I am going to the maldives in january for three weeks and want to shoot wide angle and praktise some makro shooting

#5 caymaniac

caymaniac

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, reading, nature, skiing - all types, underwater photo., travel, boating.

Posted 15 November 2005 - 05:49 AM

I have shot Velvia 50 for ten years. I've tried Kodak, I've tried other Fuji like Provia and Sensia too. The most recent addition of Velvia 100 is really nice, it gives you one more stop and for underwater you need all you can get. Shooting at 5.6 previously and now moving up to F8 is a hugh gain plus in a deep dark area you can always revert to 5.6 but dropping below that cuts the depth of field too much.