• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 05:31 AM

I'm considering adding a second strobe to my system. I'm currently using a Oly c4040, Ikelite housing and DS-125.

Would I be dissappointed with a DS-50 as a second strobe or should I pay twice as much for another DS-125?

Thanks,
Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#2 JavaFungus

JavaFungus

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 10:58 AM

I'll Let You know when I get back from my next dive trip. I'd assume, though I'm quite a novice yet, and at this point still stuck on film for UW shooting, that it really shouldn't be a problem. Many people, in fact, use dual strobe setups where one is larger than the other. The trick then, is positioning them. As I mentioned before however, this is second hand information.
I'm going out to do some gulf diving in a few hours with my housed N70, and Ikelite 100a and DS50 substrobes. I'll get you a URL and some pics, the second I get the chance.

#3 Decomike

Decomike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 02:01 PM

My first strobe was a DS-50 (last year). Since a few weeks I got a DS-125 and use them 2 times together. I like the setup, but thinking about to sell the DS-50 and buy a second DS-125. Why? Because of the possible power setting. I think you can play with shaddow effects using the different power setting at both.

After using it 2 times of course you can't say much so the next two weeks I will use the setup in clear water (Lanzarote, Islas Canarias) and after these experience I think I can say more.

Mike.

#4 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 09:36 PM

Ikelite will have a controller that can be added to the new digital (and probably all) SubStrobe models. This will give ten manual power levels. Should be available in September but we seem to be late quite often lately............

#5 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 04:51 AM

That sounds great Ike...thanks for the info...........BTW, I ordered another DS-125 instead of the DS-50.........thought having a redundant back-up would be smart in the long run

Thanks,
Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com