5 replies to this topic

#1 underwaterdigital

underwaterdigital

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 06:00 AM

Hi all,

I've always been ANAL about my setup once I get on the boat. Don't you just hate those guys who rinse their scuba gear with the uw photo equipment? Well, your problem is over.

Here's a tip.

I use a Pelican 1550 to transport my uw photo gear through airport and dive destinations and I usually assemble my setup prior to boarding the dive boat.

After you finish assembling your setup, remove the foam liner or padded divider inside the case.

Replace the foam with a towel. Lay the towel inside the housing and put your setup inside the case. If you're using a dual strobe setup, it is a good idea to loosen and collapse the arms making it compact enough to fit the whole think inside the Pelican case.

Now, you'r ready to transport your setup from your room to the boat.

Once you get to the boat, open the case and take the towel out of the case. Close the purge valve and fill the case with FRESH WATER making sure that your setup is completely submerged.

Close the case and slide it under a seat on the boat and wait until you get to your dive destination. By doing so, you're reducing the chance of your setup getting damaged. Also, you're reducing the chance of housing condensation prior to your first dive.

Think of it as your own personal RINSE BUCKET :)

hope this is helpful....
Allan

Sea and Sea DX100 with Inon X1 port, Inon Z22 quad ring flash, YS90DX and a bunch of lens, arms and ports.

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 10:25 AM

That's a great idea Allen! I'm going to try that w/ my 1600 case.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 David

David

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 09:48 AM

I have been thinking about it, but was afraid the metal rods in the hinges will rust. Did metal rods in your casing rust?

#4 underwaterdigital

underwaterdigital

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 04:16 AM

David,

No, the metal hinges on my case didn't rust. Just spray the hinges with some silicon and it should be okay. Don't forget to rinse the case after use.
Allan

Sea and Sea DX100 with Inon X1 port, Inon Z22 quad ring flash, YS90DX and a bunch of lens, arms and ports.

#5 David

David

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 07:03 PM

Will give it a try.

#6 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2297 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 04:13 PM

I've got a Frost-Pak Soft cooler from Seattle Sports. It makes a perfect rinse bucket. I've used it as a duffle bag and checked it to Baja before. You can also put it in a duffle bag. I have a variety of pelican cases. The big ones that you can use as a rinse bucket I find take up too much of your weight allowance. The 1620 does make an excellent rinse bucket though.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website