• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Spinner

Spinner

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:20 AM

Stupid question, but where can I get a +4 diopter as recommended on Ikelite's site? This is for a Tamron 28-75 mm XR LD Di (whew!) behind a Ikelite #5503.80 dome port.

"Zoom Lenses usually require addition of a +4 diopter close-up to the lens for full range operation underwater behind a dome port."

I've never used a zoom lens underwater before, so have never even seen or touched a diopter. Does it screw in like a filter? Are they lens diameter specific? Are there differences between different brands? Who the heck makes them anyway?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben

#2 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:01 AM

I got my B&W +4 diopter from B&H photo....online at www.bhvideo.com

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:41 AM

Hi Ben-

This was a topic of discussion a little while ago on the board.. BH photo is a good place.. What I learned is that there are single element diopters and multi element diopters. Some people will swear by the multi element (more expensive) diopters. Also, Ike may sell a diopter for your lens.. Ask. They have specific diameters and screw onto the front of your lens like a filter.

This link posted by James has info on the subject to keep you busy for awhile!

http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/diopter.html

M.

#4 richgarrett

richgarrett

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:24 AM

I have two tiffen 52mm +4 diopters on ebay. take a look at

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=3861000025

rich

#5 Spinner

Spinner

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the fast feedback everyone!

I leave for Irian Jaya in a couple days, so no time to get it off ebay or from the US (B&H). The photo stores here in hong kong look at me blankly when I ask for a +4 closeup lens/diopter. I'll keep trudging around town I guess, and hope for the best.

#6 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 04:54 PM

You should have said that you're in Hong Kong.

Try PhotoScientific in Central. Ask for Mr. Poon. They're on (I think) Wellington Street, just off D'Aguilar. Ask for Mr. Poon. Not a huge store, but a lot of what stock they do have is professional-oriented. If he doesn't have what you need in the shop, he might be able to get one quickly, though it sounds like you've cut it pretty close.

If by any chance you're routing to Indonesia via Singapore, Cathay Photo iis almost certain to have the diopter you need in stock.
[b]
What boat/operation will you be with in Irian Jaya? I'll be on the Bidadari, leaving tonight, arriving in Sorong Monday. I've got a 72 mm +4 (that I no longer have any real use for) which I could bring in case our boats line up somewhere. I could also try to leave it with someone/someplace in Sorong, but as I understand it we're getting off the plane and onto the boat and into the water in pretty short order.

Frogfish
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#7 Spinner

Spinner

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 05:54 PM

Hi Robert -

I'll be on the Ondina, arrival Sorong on Thursday for a 15 day trip. Thanks very much for the kind idea of bringing the 72 mm diopters. I'd take you up on it, but the Tamron's a 67 mm diameter. But let's have a beer if our boats meet up somewhere in Raja!

I'll try PhotoScientific today. I've bought from them a few times before, and every time I swear I will never go back because of their rude service. But they do tend to have the stuff I need so I inevitably end up going back...

Best,
Ben

#8 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:18 PM

They're not really rude, just being Cantonese. Please say hi to Mr. Poon for me, and try to establish a relationship with him. He's a good guy, and has helped me out many, many times.

Last resort: If Photoscientific doesn't have the diopter you need, but they happened to have a 72-67 step-down ring (if such a thing exists), you could still use my diopter. Ask.

In the "beyond last resort" department, you could try to fix the 72 mm diopter onto your lens with duct tape or something. It might not be pretty, but the size difference is small, so this could work. In your situation, I'd give it a shot.

I'll be leaving the house about 4:30 - 5:00 pm today - you and I are in the same time zone. I'll try to check my email once just before I leave, so let me know by 3:00 or so if you want me to bring the +4. I can ask around when and see if there is someone who could hold it for the Ondine on Thursday. (f you don't need it, then I don't have room for it.)

We'll be in Raja Empat area until January 3rd, so the chances are reasonably good that we will meet up somewhere. We'll probably be spending most of our time around Misool.

Frogfish
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#9 Spinner

Spinner

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:07 AM

Robert -

Photoscientific was closed this afternoon, but I did manage to find a +3 diopter for 67mm somewhere else. Anyone know if this will work?

If you don't mind, please bring along your diopter just in case...worst case scenario I'll duct tape it on.

I'll talk to Mr Poon and see if I can't get better service using your name as a reference!

See ya in Raja hopefully!
Ben

#10 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:14 AM

A couple variations would be nice. I found the recommended +4 completely unacceptable on my 12-24 DX lens with Ike's dome. It yielded a bad fisheye effect. The results were much better for me without a diopter but the 12-24 has a short enough MFD to work. I can't speak for your Tamaron lens but on such an extensive trip, you need to be prepared to try a few things.

#11 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 06:59 AM

Wow, small world. Thanks to Mr. Poon, I was able to be the first guy to use the 12-24 underwater. I got great service from him - even just by email!

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org