Rather wet DS-50...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 whitey

whitey

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:All forms of nature photography. Dive medicine. The ocean.

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:09 AM

My DS-50 flooded, I believe through the battery door on the rear of strobe.
My understanding was that this is a sealed compartment, and a flood was a relatively minor affair.

Well, the whole strobe seems to have filled up with H20 and NaCl, and bits of other nasty chemicals from the batteries reacting with the salt water.

There's no obvious way to actually get the water/sludge out of the strobe.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? I'm guessing this strobe won't be lighting my photographic adventures again in the future.

:D

Rob Whitehead

Shooting with Phase One and Canon. EWA-Marine Factory Test Pilot.

www.pilbaraphoto.com

#2 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:05 AM

a hammer might help get the water out.

i had heard with these strobes if the flood and the batteries leak then the seal into the strobe from the battery compartment is likely to get distroyed by the battery acid.

I got lucky with soemthing similar, I dont believe I flooded mine but I left my old rechargeable batteries in for too long and one of them blew up, all I had to do was clean the inside of the battery compartment, a q-tip and some white vinegar.

My understanding when they are sealed like this it is a factory job to open up, but i dont think you can break it much more esp if it was salt water and it's been in there a while ... i'd call it a loss and have a play
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#3 whitey

whitey

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:50 AM

a hammer might help get the water out.

O.K., if you think that's the best method.

I was going to drill two little holes in the front, and then plug them with "Shoe Goo" or similar when the acid sludge had all drained out.

P.S. Maybe I should put it on Ebay?

Rob Whitehead

www.pilbaraphoto.com

#4 Peter Schulz

Peter Schulz

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 06:58 AM

The strobe is history as the electronics are toast in addition to all the other problems.

My guess is that the flood is covered by Ikelite's warrantee since the whole unit flooded.

My advice, put it in a zip lock bag as is, then package it and send it to Ikelite with a note describing what happened ... no RMA required.
Nikon D70 with Nikkor 10.5, 18-70, 60mm & Sigma 15mm lenses in Ikelite housing with 2 Ikelite DS 125s.
Website Gallery

#5 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 05:39 AM

Had something similar happen with a DS-125. Email Ikelite and send the strobe back for repair.

#6 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 10:43 AM

oh no, I just remember ....
http://www.wetpixel....c&p=33422#33422

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#7 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2291 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:51 PM

Just send it in to Ikelite. About 10 years ago I had an old style Ike remote TTL slave sensor flood after about 3 years of hard use. About the day I expected to get a repair estimate from them a brand new TTl slave sensor showed up in my mail box. No charge. Can't say they won't charge you. I did have to pay to have a strobe fixed once. But at least they were quick and a lot cheaper than the Sea and Sea and Nikon strobes I've have to send in for repair.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#8 whitey

whitey

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:08 AM

Jolly, LOL! I can't believe you remembered that comment! It and the thread I was referring to were the first things that went through my mind when I started seeing bubbles coming from the strobe.

You've obviously got to watch what you write around wetpixel, people will bring it up years later to haunt you. you've all been warned! :(

Dave, normally I'd send it back to Ikelite or email Ike who as you know is generally very helpful when it comes to advice on his products. However, given the thread above I'm not game to admit that my DS-50 flooded! :D

It's sort of sitting around full of sludge which I figured can't be good for it. As I'm currently in Pannawonica (what, you've never heard of it?), it'd be a good while til it reached Ike HQ in seppo-land. So I thought I'd check with you folk to see if there was any good suggestions.

It's a sad reflection on Wetpixelers that the best idea you've come up with is Giles' idea of bashing it with a hammer. He wants to operate on my nose, you know, so perhaps I can send him the the strobe initially to see how his technical skills are.

I still think my idea of drilling a couple of holes to let the water out and then selling it is the best bet. Perhaps selling it on digitaldiver's classifieds section?

:D :D :D

Rob Whitehead

www.pilbaraphoto.com

#9 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:30 PM

Well, I don't know/think you did not handle the battery cap thing wrong, but somehow I just remembered that thread and the locked one as well :(

BTW Rob, Ike has mentioned in that locked thread that only people who are to stupid to handle this simple battery thing would flood the strobe and this would never happen under normal circumstances. And you have been aware of this so it can not be your fault and you should expect a new one. Or better put some money on top when you ship the flooded DS-50 to Ikelite and get a DS-125 right away :D

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#10 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 04:46 PM

Ike is known to replace free of charge a strobe if the problem was other than user. The battery compartment is sealed from the main strobe, thus it is generally a manufacturer flaw....unless you got nosey and poked and prodded where you shouldn't :( Even if the warranty is up, he should fix it without too much complianing....he is simply honest and sticks by his work ethic and quality. Shoot him and email...you should be fine.

Joe

#11 Gazzer

Gazzer

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 02:04 AM

oh no, I just remember ....
http://www.wetpixel....c&p=33422#33422

Julian

:D

#12 whitey

whitey

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

OK, thanks for the advice.

Thought I better give you an update, as I'm sure you were all really worried about how my DS-50 was getting on.

I did what Giles suggested and belted the strobe with a hammer a bit, but it didn't really seem to help.

I've given it a bit of time to dry out by itself, and it seems to have worked pretty well. Admittedly there's a tiny bit of rust inside, but I think it's mainly cosmetic.

my_ds_50_has_mostly_dried_out__mostly.jpg

This strobe has been listed as 'for sale' in my signature since I made the original post, but it's not selling as quickly as I hoped it would. So I'm going to discount it by a further 5%.

Hope to hear from any of you prospective buyers soon,

Kind regards,

Whitey

Edited by whitey, 18 April 2008 - 11:26 PM.

Rob Whitehead

www.pilbaraphoto.com

#13 johan_paz

johan_paz

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:05 AM

/deleted

Edited by johan_paz, 24 May 2009 - 03:52 AM.

#14 whitey

whitey

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

Just ordered a 5D Mk3 and some new L glass from B&H yesterday. i really need to sell this strobe to help pay for the new gear. Plus I can't work out how to attach it to the Ewa-Marine anyway (gaffer tape works fine on the boat, but once in the water it's just not cool).

So lets make it a 10% discount off the original price. Sale has been slower than I hoped...but that's my final offer.

Rob Whitehead

www.pilbaraphoto.com

#15 Deco Rico

Deco Rico

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:59 AM

So lets make it a 10% discount off the original price. Sale has been slower than I hoped...but that's my final offer.

Hmmmmm... after 7 years trying to sell it I can't see anyone falling for it :) Hey is that mold??

Might I suggest the best use for it:-
- Cut that sucker in half with a dremel (or an Irish screwdriver, if you prefer)
- Have a look at how it's all put together
- Post pics of what you find so I can get mine apart (WITHOUT using a dremel!) and finally fix the leaky b*stard.

#16 whitey

whitey

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

Hmmmmm... after 7 years trying to sell it I can't see anyone falling for it smile.png Hey is that mold??

Might I suggest the best use for it:-
- Cut that sucker in half with a dremel (or an Irish screwdriver, if you prefer)
- Have a look at how it's all put together
- Post pics of what you find so I can get mine apart (WITHOUT using a dremel!) and finally fix the leaky b*stard.

Seven years? That is kind of slow. I think my choice of thread title was poor, should have gone with 'Ds-50 in Excellent Condition FS (Note: slight orange tint to glass)'.

I think the main problem is that I've been a bit tardy on following up with potential buyers in this thread. Look at Johan_Paz - a total of one post on Wetpixel and it was here! But he deleted it. I presume it was an offer to buy.

And Deco - a Tasmanian! You're virtually down the road from me in Oz, kind of. Drop in and take a look if you're interested. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you but I can assure you that THERE IS NO 'MOLD'. I will give you my personal guarantee on that. Damn it, if I'd been a bit quicker to reassure you I'd have the money in the bank by now.

OK, I said the 10% price reduction was final so I don't think I should go lower just because it's been 7 (actually..now 9 and a bit) years on the market. I am, after all, a man of my word. I'll tell you what though, I'll throw in the batteries (mildly corroded but will probably be fine with a bit of a charge) as a sweetener.

Happy for anyone to pick up in person to save on shipping. I won't hold it though, first one to come up with the cash is the lucky new owner. Be quick!

P.S. Giles is a moderator now? Has the world gone mad???

Rob Whitehead

www.pilbaraphoto.com

#17 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

well I think the DS-50 is an anchor now, AND if Ike does not help you?  I got a pretty new DS-51 (& f/o adaptor) for sale in the Classifieds~