15 replies to this topic

#1 gdcraft

gdcraft

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:U/W Digital Photography

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:16 PM

Hello All.... I have been shooting with point and shoot for a couple years. Have had great sucsess with my Olympus C4040. But it got droped at x-mas. So I am on the hunt for a new camera befor a trip to Cozumel in January.

I am looking at steping up to a PRO level SLR. I am interested in the Canon 20D and Nikon D70 and Olympus e1.

Looking for others comments. ie... why the E20 vs the Rebel.

What lens is a good lens that will let me on a dive take both close up (macro) and sea-scape shots. Looking at the 17-85 lens on the E20

If I go with the standard 18-55 lens will i be disapointed?

Can I use a dome for a longer lens so that i dont have to purchase 2 or 3 ports?

Rookie to SLR

Graham
www.tropicaldivers-omaha.com

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:58 PM

Hi Graham,

Your first stop here should be the Features Section. Click on Wiseman Beginner Column and read the articles about upgrading to a DSLR. I think that will answer a lot of your questions

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Peter Schulz

Peter Schulz

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 09:20 PM

And the winner is .... the Canon 20D. At least for now that's what folks on this and other forums seem to be buying.

First is was the Rebel which was a bit dumbed down, but a good start. Then the D70 came out with a faster sync speed and better controls and that's what folks got, including me. And now the Canon 20D is out with a few more mega pixels and the better controls the Rebel was missing. So now the 20D is the favorite. Canon, Nikon, Canon ... think lenses ... who makes good lenses?

As for Olympus DSLRs, very few if any are going that route. I don't know why. But, to me it doesn't matter because a lot of people smarter than me have voted their wallets and to me wallets trump posts.

And by all means, get the Ikelite housing with eTTL support if you have Ikelite strobes. Otherwise get the Ikelite vanilla housing.

Bottom line: Get the 20D and the kit lens and the Ikelite housing and do it now if you really plan to take it on a January trip ... assuming you mean January 2005. Or save about $500 and get the D70 which is still a good choice but Ikelite will not have iTTL support for the housing in time for your trip which only matters if you have Ikelite strobes.

Spelling.
Nikon D70 with Nikkor 10.5, 18-70, 60mm & Sigma 15mm lenses in Ikelite housing with 2 Ikelite DS 125s.
Website Gallery

#4 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:22 AM

Peter,

I've noticed your affection toward Ikelite products and subsequent promotion of them. Are you an Ikelite dealer? Maybe getting Industry tagged under your name would be helpful in identifying you as a dealer? :wink:

#5 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 05:02 AM

Well, at the risk of being branded an Ikelite dealer (:(), I'd also second Peter's recommendation for a 20D in an Ikelite housing. Great camera, very functional and reliable housing, and eTTL flash until you are ready to learn to shoot manual flash.

#6 gdcraft

gdcraft

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:U/W Digital Photography

Posted 04 January 2005 - 06:37 AM

No I am NOT an Ikelite dealer.

I had a C4040 that when i purchased the only housing available was an Ikelite. I then purchased an Ikelite strobe. When filling out my profile it asked for equpment. The only equipment I currently have is the Strobe as my camera was droped at x-mas.

I like the other housings but find the Ikelites to be the most affordable.

Graham

#7 Peter Schulz

Peter Schulz

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:49 AM

meister, no I'm not an Ikelite dealer. In fact I'm fully retired and loving it.

But I am an Ikelite fan. Why? Because I have owned Ikelite housings for my 3040 and 5050 and now my D70 and they are bullet proof dry as compared to a PT-015 housing that owned that fogged and then flooded down the multifunction shaft. And the TTL on my 5050 was fantastic as I expect the iTTL to be for my D70 when it becomes available.

My bottom line on Ikelite housings and strobes is that they are both functional and affordable. That's why I continue to use them and recommend them.

Spelling
Nikon D70 with Nikkor 10.5, 18-70, 60mm & Sigma 15mm lenses in Ikelite housing with 2 Ikelite DS 125s.
Website Gallery

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:24 AM

IF the 20d is the camera, it is hard to recomend anything but Ikelite, as it is all that is shipping. Matt Segal chose this camera, and seemed to be happy with it:
http://www.carbonos....20dtripgear.htm

Disclosure: I am an Ikelite Dealer. I am also a Subal, Nexus, Sea & Sea, and Aquatica Dealer. Yes, I'm biased, but I'm equally biased if that helps :(

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#9 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:19 PM

are people really ignoring the new Oly E1 that much ... i have heard some really great things about their square sensor.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#10 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 07:31 PM

Lens selection, or a lack of it, is currently the biggest downfall with the E1. That being said, it is compatible with Ikelite's TTL conversion circuitry, and digitaldiver.net kingpin Richard Perry has captured some beautiful stuff underwater with it.

http://www.digitaldi...;threadid=10243

I'm in the camp that more smaller pixels aren't a good thing, and I'm curious about the longevity of this format, or the DX format for that matter.

#11 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 07:33 PM

To be fair, a ~$1600 7-14mm superwide zoom should be out very soon, and a telephoto macro and full frame fisheye are on the drawing board.

#12 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1571 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:14 PM

Ryan: Sea&Sea, Ikelite Light and Motion I see. Where and what Subal and Nexus are you selling, they no appear on your website.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#13 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:19 AM

Ryan - I thought you were a believer in the DX sensor!
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#14 Rattus

Rattus

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 07:36 AM

To be fair, a ~$1600 7-14mm superwide zoom should be out very soon, and a telephoto macro and full frame fisheye are on the drawing board.

Lordy! That's twice the RRP of the Canon 10-22mm! I can see no real benefit of going for a new lens format when the coverage on Nikon and Canon formats is so good.

Olympus did well out of the OM format, but they didn't keep up with the other two as the SLR world moved to autofocus then digital. As a result of concentrating on the IS range of fixed lens 35mm SLRs they went on to make some really fine fixed lens digicams. However I can't help feeling its too late for them to lever themselves back into the interchangable lens market now.

But hey, I could be wrong. It's always interesting to see what happens in the format tussle.

Regards,

Martyn

#15 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:23 AM

Ryan: Sea&Sea, Ikelite Light and Motion I see. Where and what Subal and Nexus are you selling, they no appear on your website.  

Our site is undergoing a major revision right now (for the first time in 18 months), and the new housings will be published then.

Ryan - I thought you were a believer in the DX sensor!

Well, I'm a user of the DX format, and probably will be for the next several years. I think its results are good enough for me (as 6mp is enough resolution for me), but don't want to see twenty-something megapixel aps chip.

I have issues with full frame cameras, too, mostly with sharpness and artifacting in the corners. I'm also confident that you reach a point of diminishing returns in terms of resolution v. photosite size. I think this is evident on the 8mp consumer cameras- and possibly could be a problem with the d2x, but I have a blind confidence in Nikon to do the right thing :(

#16 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:19 AM

Ditto with what Peter said.

If you have no SLR lenses get the 20D and Ikelite TTL housing. The 20D has a lot of new features the justify the $500 more and the TTL is a great thing to have. The new Canon 10-22 lens is a big swinger too.

The Nikon system still has better lenses for underwater IMHO though. Canon still has no 180 degree fishey like the 10.5 and the macro lenses won't do 1:1 like the 60 and 105. I also like the faster flash sync and better flash system.

Get either the Nikon or the Canon and don't look back. Invest in lenses and stick with the system. With either camera you have access to a whole world of lenses dating back several decades. It is likely that the lenses you buy will be compatable several more decades and they will hold their value.

With the Oly you are betting on a new system with limited lens/housing options. I wouldn't go there.

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85