• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seminoe

seminoe

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:33 PM

I am a newbie to UW photo and I recently purchased a 3040 in PT-10 housing with Sea + Sea YS 90dx strobe. I have been getting mixed information on what settings are best to use for camera and strobe.

I may not be able to test the settings underwater before my next dive trip in 2 weeks, but I have been doing some on land testing and have found the exposures to be most consistant with the camera in 'Program' mode (P) and the strobe in TTL mode. Level adjustments to the flash do not seem to make any difference (from what I understand this is the whole point of TTL?).

I would like the ability to control shutter and aperature in 'manual' mode (A/S or M). I have tried using the preflash mode on the strobe with the camera on manual (shutter 90 at F 5.6) with mixed success. Seems like a lot of adjustment on the flash level is needed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 bobf

bobf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 06:22 AM

This article, written by Jeff Farris, may help:

http://home.swbell.n...s/strobespg.htm
oly 4040 and a pair of DS 125's
Inon Macro and an Oly WAL

#3 seminoe

seminoe

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:24 PM

Thanks - this has some great info. I will give it a try on my trip!

#4 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:37 AM

There is no TTL on the 3040, so the TTL setting on the strobe is pointless.

You best bet is to try Manual mode, start with settings like 1/125th shutter speed and F6 or similar on the camera Flash on Full if 3-4 ft from subject (ideal range) Flash on 1/2 or less anyway if closer to subject.
Adjust the F Stop according to ambient light and shutter speed for light from the subject (using flash).

I am amazed you can consider the results to be consistent, that would be the last result I would expect, I can see good results coming but I would expect badly exposed shots too.
With this setup you will find more consistency from all manual settings that you bracket yourself. I never even found the camera to be that great on A (aperture priority) but the results were consistent.

I have been using this setup for about 4 years now, and have played with just about every setting, but you can't beat manual everything, it is very wiorth getting used to.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks