2 replies to this topic

#1 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:17 PM

This little shrimp is 1/4 inch long, so pardon the quality of the photo. It was taken in Belize, on Lighthouse Reef. It looks similar to one in Humann's Reef Creature, Periclimenes meyeri, but has spots and red marks on the tail fan, which P. meyeri does not. May be an adaptation in colour to this crinoid, which is a different one than mentioned as the host crinoid in the reference. Can anyone confirm the ID?
Many thanks,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#2 Art

Art

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:14 AM

Hi Marli
yes, I think it's P. meyeri, assuming that Humann's ID is correct
crinoid shrimps are highly variable in colour adapting themselves quite quickly to the hosts
cheerio
Art

#3 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:28 AM

Thanks, Art,
I suspected as much, but Humann states "known only from Bonaire and Curacao" on Black and White crinoids. I figure as it's a pretty new species and teeny, no one's looking. Its range is probably a lot wider than we know. I concentrated on finding the new shrimp in his book, and found four different ones in three days.
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig