• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tberns

tberns

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 09:28 AM

Has anyone tried using an u/w laser pointer for strobe aiming. I'm new to u/w digital and wonder if an aiming light will affect the exposure or will the ttl compensate for the aiming light.

#2 SharpDiver

SharpDiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 04:59 PM

I'd be more concerned about having little red dots in my image. The strobes have a chance of blowing out a small flashlight, they'll never get rid of a laser spot.

#3 snoack

snoack

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 05:30 AM

I'm using a laser pointer at work. The description said that you should never ever point it to anybody's face, especially not to the eyes.
As we tend to focus on the eyes of the creatues we photograph, i'd be more concerned about their health than about having red spots in the image. :mad:

Normal aiming lights mounted on a strobe usually don't influence the picture very much. In digital uw photography an aiming light can be very usefull to help your camera focusing in lowlight situations.

Sabine

#4 tberns

tberns

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I was looking at a pointer with an easy to use on/off switch so you could aim the strobe then turn off the pointer. I am concerned however about possible harm from the laser light and will probably avoid a pointer for now. The point about an aiming light helping autofocus was also good; I've already noticed a problem focusing in low light.

#5 rdhatke

rdhatke

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 07:34 PM

I am wondering the same thing. I have been looking at the Inon Z220 strobe which has a built-in laser pointer, and the ability to turn-off. They say leaving it on MAY produce spots in your pictures.

#6 marscuba

marscuba

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 10:11 PM

I believe that the Inon strobe laser pointer automatically shuts off when the strobe fires.

Also, the comment about laser pointers and the eyes is a good point. We don't know enough about the effects of strobes/lasers on fish to really know, but should keep that in consideration...

An aiming light (rather than pointer) will assist in the camera's autofocus as well.