7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Ransom

Steve Ransom

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 09:45 AM

Hi all,
I'm new to u/w photography and this forum but have found a wealth of info here. I'm going to Belize in 3 weeks
and have decided to purchase an Olympus C3000-series and PT 010 housing.
I understand the internal strobe creates backscatter, but don't understand how big a problem it is. Are all pics going to be showing it? Since dollars are limited, should I consider buying this combo and a lower cost strobe now, or a better camera now (say a 4000 series) and using the internal strobe until I can afford a good one....in six months to a year?
Any recommendations on strobes with these Olympus cameras? I don't ever intend to publish the pictures or anything...just record memories. Thanks
Steve

#2 cmdasia

cmdasia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 05:57 PM

Whilst not wanting to advise what equipment you should buy (I keep adding to or changing my setup so I do not consider myself qualified to give that kind of advise) - I will say that my own experience with the PT10 and backscatter is that the diffuser on the PT10 is fabulous at "ignoring" backscatter. If its memories you want start without a strobe (and the learning curve) and if you want to upgrade in the future, fine but you will not need it with the PT10 to get "great" memories/shots.

#3 marscuba

marscuba

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 10:08 PM

My advice would be to start out with the camera and housing only. With your dive trip only 3 weeks out, you'll barely have time to get acquainted with the camera, let alone become proficient with the housing.

You don't state your location or where you regularly dive. If you dive somewhere with low vis all the time, then I would recommend getting a strobe. But probably for now, you can use the camera without external strobe and use the internal strobe when necessary.

For Belize, I suppose you will be just fine with just the internal strobe.

Buy the best camera you can afford now. What camera models are you thinking about besides the 4000? I think that the 4000 is one of the best choices available unless you want the 1.8 aperture for (land) portraiture.

What is your budget?

#4 Steve Ransom

Steve Ransom

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for all the advice. It helped reaffirm my feelings and I ordered the Olympus C4040 Zoooooom. Sounds like a great camera. Any input on this beast?
Steve

#5 marscuba

marscuba

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 10:58 PM

Steve, the 4040 is a terrific camera; I have the 3040 and wouldn't mind the extra features and pixels of the 4040.

How is your buoyancy control?

#6 Steve Ransom

Steve Ransom

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 06:33 AM

Well it's quite good actually for someone with my experience level. I've always been quite comfortable in the water. Is this camera going to make a significant difference? And BTW where does everyone get the silica packs to put inside the housing?
Steve

#7 mkschultz

mkschultz

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 06:02 PM

If you get the PT-010 housing (boxed version) it will come with 5 silica packs.

#8 marscuba

marscuba

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 06:10 PM

I use the same one for many many dives.

Probably replaced it when I lost it about 3 months ago... and still using the same one now.

YMMV,