• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 scottv11

scottv11

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 04:17 PM

Has anyone been using ni-mh batteries in thier ys-90dx? I have read posts that warn against it because of gassing compromising the o ring seal.
I have a ton of ni-mh'es but don't want to endanger the strobe

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 04:56 PM

I have a pair of regular 90s which I always have use NimH batteries. Way too slow at recycling for any other batteries. I even had one flood (battery compartment) without a problem. As I understand it the out gassing from a flood will project the battery cap when you open it but you don't get an actual explosion i.e. it is a compressed gas release not a chemical explosion). If you flood one you will discover that Sea and Sea's service is not of the same quality as Ike's well deserved reputation. Note the one I flooded did nothing at all except ruin the batteries. Even though only the battery compartment only was flooded, S&S said corrosion would ruin the strobe eventually and an overhaul was neccessary that cost a significant percentage of a new strobe and took 2 months.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 Tio Loco

Tio Loco

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 06:37 PM

I used them in my Ike 50s, and most recently in a pair of YS-90DXs with no problem at all. I have never noticed any internal pressurization when I open the battery compartment, and I generally change batteries after each dive.

Richard

#4 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 06:42 PM

You only get the outgassing if you flood it. The batteries are suppose to give offf hydrogen if flooded. Note the time I flooded a set of 4 I didn't noticed any outgassing. I don't recommend the experiment.

My Website

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 07:04 PM

I used 1800 mAh Mahacells in my 90DX on my last trip and I loved them!

HTH
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#6 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 07:19 PM

If I recall correctly the 90 was retrofited with a new battery cap cover that has a one way valve to vent any gas caused by flooding. For sure this was included in the 90dx. Bottom line is the NimH batteries are the only ones I would use in a strobe that takes disposable battieries. Your camera probably uses Lithium batteries that will also out gas if flooded, yet no one isn't using them in their camera due to the risk of a gas explosion.

[Edited on 5-10-2002 by davephdv]

My Website

#7 SharpDiver

SharpDiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 08:29 PM

If I were a betting man, I would gamble that Sea & Sea's "no NiMh" stand is a CYA strategy.

Whatever the risk of using NiMh in YS-90DX, I am taking it. Alkalines are too expensive and too weak. I also hate to produce more chemically laced trash that would end up in a landfill.

#8 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 09:00 AM

Especially when you're diving in remote locations (PNG, Solomons, Etc)

Where do you think that trash goes? Not into a landfill...it goes over the side...:)

I finally got some NiMH "C" cells for my Nikon strobe and I love them. I get two dives off a fully charged set - taking 80+ shots per dive.

James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#9 scottv11

scottv11

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2002 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for all the input. I have a bunch of 1800 mAh ni-mh'es because I use them in my olympus anyway.
I am headed for the Caribbean next week and I will use them in the strobe.
I cant wait roatan,Belize,cozumel,grand Cayman here I come.
scott

#10 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 14 May 2002 - 08:34 AM

Use of Nimh will void your warrenty. They can also off gas if run down too low. Even a drop of water can cause big problems. Sooner or later it'll get you.
If you want fast recycle times Nicads work better and are cheap. Most Nimh chargers work with them. I found some 1000mAh ones at Radio Shack and get 3 rolls of film+ from one charge.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#11 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 09:54 AM

Shhhh! Don't tell! :)

I'll stick w/ my NiMH and take my chances, but I appreciate the warning.

Cheers
James Wiseman
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#12 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 06:45 AM

I was just going to ask this question as I just got my 90dx's.

Has anyone actually called Sea and Sea to see if you get the same CYA answer on this?

I am still not convinced one way or the other and have both nimh and nicads ready:)
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#13 cmdasia

cmdasia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 08:05 PM

As with most others I have been using MiH' in my dx90 for 4 months (diving every second week) and I have not witnessed any problems to date.

I cannot figure how S&S can build a one way gas off valve into the battery compartment cover that would still operate oneway at 60 meters.

#14 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 08 July 2002 - 11:11 PM

Yes, I did call Sea & Sea. The info posted was directly from their tech support. They will not cover strobes under warrenty that use Nimh.

Guys, the high cap nicads work better anyway (much faster recycle) and are cheap. You tend to use them all up in strobes so the advantage of no memory really isn't an issue.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#15 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 05:45 AM

They do not recommend it. They say that there have been problems with their use in the strobes.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com

#16 Tio Loco

Tio Loco

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 08:42 AM

I just saw this link in the Yahoo uwphoto group, which sheds a little more light on this question:

http://www.hkdivepho...nt/sscaps.shtml

#17 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 08:48 AM

A rep with Sea and Sea had said the reason for no NiMH was that the heat produced potentially caused damage to the internal workings, and it is not the gas that is the reason that NiMH are not recommended.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com

#18 Tio Loco

Tio Loco

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 09:02 AM

... that could be true. I was speaking with Thomas Distributing last week and asked about 2000mAh NiMh batteries.

He said that the technology is there (and supposedly will be available soon), but the problem the mfg's are having is coming up with a battery skin that will withstand the heat.

Richard

#19 Eli

Eli

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 10:52 AM

I used NIMH for the dives I did. I did change the batteries every third dive, (about 120 shots) even though their capacity was probably better than that. I had no problems whatsoever.
http://www.pbase.com...f/nature_photos