• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spinner

Spinner

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:22 AM

I'm doing a quick 4 day trip over Easter - from Hong Kong (where I'm based), Anilao and Puerto Galera in the Phillipines come up as quick, easy getaways.

I've been to PG before, and found the divesites pleasant, but nothing terribly memorable other than the pygmy seahorses. Has anyone been to Anilao (or both Anilao and PG)? Any other short trips to recommend from Hong Kong?

Thanks,
Ben

#2 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:08 AM

Can't answer your question but I can add you another option: Malapascua in the north of Cebu, There is an international airport there and then you have to take taxi/bus to the north of the island.
I was there one year ago and really enjoyed, the attraction is the thresher sharks but we enjoy there no less in a night dive with lot of Mandarin fish, sea horses, Bobtail squids and more.
I can recomended there the Exotic Island Dive Resort.
See also Mike's report
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#3 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:11 PM

It's getting late to book anywhere in the vicinity of HK for Easter, and flights. Wherever you decide to go, I'd make arrangements soon.

used to live in HK. PG was the obvious choice when i wanted a place that was easy (and inexpensive) to get to for just a few days. But I'm surprised you found nothing memorable other than the pygmies. I found PG to be pretty good for a wide range of small to medium-sized things (frogfish, nudis, corals, etc.) I haven't been to Anilao, but some people say it's great. I get the impression that there's an overlap between PG and Anilao in terms of nudibranch species, but Anlilao may have more.

When I had more time (and was willing to spend a bit more $$ on flights out of Hong Kong), Indonesia was usually first choice. Now I live here.

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:08 PM

Spinner
If you don't like macro and want only pelagics, you're pretty much out of luck with just a 4 day window from HK. I've been to both Anilao and PG numerous times. There are many very fishy dives in both places. I'm sure you've done Canyons during the right tide.
Anilao is more for coral and reef fishy scenes. Sites like Sombrero, Beatrice Rock, Twin Rocks and Catherdral are covered with hundreds of thousands of reef fish like anthias and damsels. The nudibranchs in the area are tops in variety and rarer species.
It would help if you say what you are looking for. Macro and scenery is the order of the day in Anilao and PG. There is a very nice muck site in Anilao called Bazura, where mimics, frogfish and wunderpus are residents amongst other critters.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 rmcgonegal

rmcgonegal

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:29 PM

Both Aniliao and PG are good dive sites, however PG has a wider assortment - Verde Island dropoff, Horses Head, Almajane wreck, etc. I live in Manila and dive PG about twice a month - its always good. I stay with La Laguna Beach Club (www.llbc.com.ph), they are PADI 5star and do a great job.

For a different experience you could go and dive the wrecks around Subic Bay, vis is not as good as PG, but there are easily 4 days worth of wrecks.

I have heard that Coron is good as well (thats where I'm heading this Easter) and dive the wrecks there - its hard to get in and out via air, and the baggage allowance is 10 Kg, but there are ferries from Manila that go there overnite. If you check out the websites for Coron Wrecks, there is plenty of info.
Canon 20D, Ikelite housing, dual DS-125 strobes
Canon G2, Ikelite housing, DS125 Strobe
Nikonos V with SB105 flash