• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mark jones

mark jones

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 January 2002 - 01:42 PM

could anyone tell me from experience, the ideal strobe set up for the olympus pt10 & c4040 , dual strobes ??;)

#2 andymay

andymay

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 11:03 AM

We're in in the same situation I think Mark - I've just bought a c4040 and have a pt10 housing on order. I'm now busy gleaning the forums to decide which flash...

At the moment the Ikelite DS-50 seems to come out top. It seems to cost about 150 less to get it sent from the US than to buy it in the UK too.

As a beginner, I'd be interested to know what people think of this choice.. should I get Ikelites tray and arm?

#3 RogerCarlson

RogerCarlson

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 12:28 PM

Ikelite's arms are like all of ikelite's stuff: well made, very functional, bulletproof. And large and heavy. The quick-disconnect is great, I used it constantly when I had an ikelite arm, but I sold it and bought ultralight arms. They make a huge difference. the o-ring on the balls puts enough friction on the joint so that things are locked down and will stay put, but you can easy grab the strobe and put it where you want (silently) without loosening any of the joints. You just put the strobe where you want and it stays there until you move it again. This is pretty important with digital, since your instant reviews will show shadows and stuff and you'll want to play with position a lot. They are a lot lighter, too, but the big deal to me is the adjustability. I may get a quick-disconnect for my ulc arms, but I don't feel the need for it as strongly as I did with the ikelite arms, since with the ike arms, the quickest way to move the strobe was to disconnect it and hold it.

#4 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 02:11 PM

Actually, I was surprised by how light the Ikelite tray for the digicams is. I took it off my Ikelite C-4040z housing to try to affix my ultralight Nikonos tray (which used to reside on my PT-010). Since the ULCS tray doesn't fit real well and since the Ike tray is pretty light and since ULCS makes an adaptor that fits right into the Ike quick disconnect arms, I'm going that route (Ike tray with ULCS arms). And, I'm going to order a double handle tray from Ike.

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.