#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:01 PM

http://www.wetpixel....-3-pid-56.phtml

Hi folks,

I've posted my review and test results for this strobe. I tried it with the Olympus 5060 and the Canon S400 and I was very pleased with the results.

All comments and feedback welcome.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 ReyeR

ReyeR

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:08 PM

Good test report James.

One thing I notice, with the photo of the back of the strobe for the S-TTL test: You have the Mode dial set to 'S-TTL Low' and the EV dial at 9 o'clock. Inon recommends you start at position 'B' ie 12 o'clock. With the EV dial at 9 o'clock you've basically dialed a '+' exposure compensation of +3 steps.

Did you do your 'S-TTL Low' test with the EV dial set at that position? If so, why?

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:13 AM

I have a large and positive review of this product coming out in the next issue of UWP magazine. I think that the Inon D2000 is an innovative and important product for digital compact photographers.

I'll post more of my thoughts about it after UWP comes out.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:19 AM

Hi ReyeR,

Yes, you are correct. I just assumed that you point the little arrow at "TTL" and take it from there.

Apparently, my shots worked out well because I had the strobe set at S-TTL Low. I'm going to do an underwater test soon, and I'll set up the strobe at the "B" position and STTL.

I received this comment from Inon today:

D-2000 is designed to get correct exposure in S-TTL with setting the  
EV Controller to "B" position for normal camera.  Generally we suggest to start the EV Controller in "B" position for C5060 underwater.  In the test the EV Controller has been compensated to plus side but it seems to have got almost correct exposure.  Since the subject is contrasty with black/white and the test executed on land, the results is still good even though the EV Controller wrongly set to plus compensation.  The EV Controller will work better underwater comparing on land for difference of absorption.  So if "B" position of EV Controller gives you bit underexposed, plus compensation (by dialing the controller counter clockwise within the range indicated yellow line) will make it bit brighter image.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#5 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:29 AM

So does this strobe follow pre-flashes?

I wonder if it will work on the super fast ones, like sony v3, where non of the current strobes/triggers work?

James, maybe you could ask your contact at Inon..??

Don
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:07 PM

Hi Don,

I checked the Advanced Operation user manual that came with the strobe, and that camera doesn't appear under either the S-TTL supported cameras or non-supported cameras. I think it's too new and hasn't made it into the literature yet. The best way to find out would probably be to email them and/or try it.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes