67 replies to this topic

#21 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:31 PM

Only thing I would like to see changed on the new layout, is LARGER FONT SIZE.  I have a large monitor, and all other internet content comes up easy to see, but this font is about a #6... (I'm trying to put off glasses as long as possible!!)
Larry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Larry - I'll look into it. The font doesn't look particular small on my hi-density display, using Mozilla and IE on Windows. What brower and platform are you on?

Is it just the content text that is too small, or is it the entire site?

And, what happens if you tell your browser to use larger fonts? :D
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#22 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:35 PM

Hi Eric,

First of all, I want to thank you for all the work that has been done on the site. I worked on HTML some years ago, and I know how time consuming it is. Thanks!

Now, I want to report a problem that I am having. I am using a Mac the site works fine up to the forums, when I click on a thread it won't get in (using Internet Explorer). I can get into the forums with Safari, but the design looks different and weird here. Is it just me or is someone else having these issues?

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#23 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:36 PM

It is very easy to edit, now that I understand the hundreds of templates involved (blech!).  I removed the custom fields even before I saw your post here.  AS for member number and joined: dates, some people like that because it shows... seniority. :D

great minds .. isn't that what they say .? but yours understand hundreds of templates .. mine doesn't.

I agree with the showing seniority, it helps to know as a new person who knows what they are talking about most .. i wonder if that could be turned into a sliding scale or this post = bs --> einstein !!! that would be funny oh dear my staying mind.

nope i like it now .. I will clean my cache again .. I am on firefox too 1.0 with my lovely Noia skin .. and these lovely plugins .... hey did anyone tell you yet if you're not using firefox ... you're doing something wrong. I have been in love for too long now ;)

Oh I will report any log in problems in next post if it still does it. I am pretty sure it is me .. i just wanted to mention it as it happened but no one else has yet which is likely means it is just me.

edit:: log in working great for me now. I guess i must of logged in during the half way transition and got some cache that wasn't mixing well.

oh and last things I noticed just incase you find this helpfull if it is not annoying.
chat button is that needed if it is turned off, i clicked to see if you had bothered wanting it but nothing, i don't think we need it with the activity levels in th forums.
and second i do like the link to external blog feature.
love the rss is it possible to rss the forums postings too ? i dont think i have ever seen that but sounds like a neat idea, have i just never looked ??

oh and my signature .. i will leave it in for a while ... i chose the style setting [size1] to make it small like it is and it just prints [size1] ... that has to be something going wrong. not that its a big problem I will just take out the formatting.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#24 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:44 PM

Hi Eric,

First of all, I want to thank you for all the work that has been done on the site. I worked on HTML some years ago, and I know how time consuming it is. Thanks!

Now, I want to report a problem that I am having. I am using a Mac the site works fine up to the forums, when I click on a thread it won't get in (using Internet Explorer). I can get into the forums with Safari, but the design looks different and weird here. Is it just me or is someone else having these issues?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the nice words. I've been working in Firefox and IE on Windows, and the majority of the site is coded up to be XHTML compliant. It gets much harder when you have forum space to worry about, though, and I'm pretty sure that the forums area could use some work.

IE in the Mac is notoriously horrible, and I would be surprised if Microsoft even supports or updates it anymore. Safari isn't standards-compliant, either, and it's unfortunate that so many Mac users use it.

Have you tried Firefox on the Mac? I know it's not my place to recommend a new browser, but if you want to keep up with where the web is going, I highly recommend the switch.

Get Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/
EWeek article: http://www.eweek.com...,1745091,00.asp
Why XHTML? http://www.alistapar...s/betterliving/

(Here's where Ike starts in on me. He's still using Netscape 4 or something. :D

Mostly, I want to make sure Wetpixel works with today's browsers, and tomorrow's browsers. The idea is that you should be CSS for all style information, while the HTML specifies things like whether a group of objects should be a numbered list or an un-numbered list. More browsers and devices should be able to get to the data if a site is designed that way. Unfortunately, this makes older and poorly-designed browsers harder for us to support.

Send me screenshots via e-mail of what Wetpixel looks like with Safari. Or, I'll take a look at this after the Sea Rovers Clinic (Mar 8 or so), when I have more time.

But I'm definitely not going to even attempt to support IE on the Mac. That would be suicide for supporting proper browsers. And people using old Netscape browsers? Your time has finally come... ;)
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#25 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:52 PM

Larry - I'll look into it. The font doesn't look particular small on my hi-density display, using Mozilla and IE on Windows. What brower and platform are you on?

Is it just the content text that is too small, or is it the entire site?

And, what happens if you tell your browser to use larger fonts? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Larry. Gif labels like these: Posted Image are a real eye test on my monitors. They don't scale with font changes.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#26 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:01 PM

I agree with Larry. Gif labels like these: Posted Image are a real eye test on my monitors. They don't scale with font changes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ugh. Now *that* is a HUGE change. It's possible for me to do that, but not before mid-March. I chose those because they are so small & simple.

We don't need images, right? I may just convert them all to text, so we FireFox people can just use type-ahead find instead of using the mouse. :D
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#27 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the tip about Firefox Eric, I downloaded it, and I like it a lot. It displays all sites that I tried so far perfectly, and is faster than IE and Safari.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#28 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:41 PM

And -- TABBED BROWSING! Control click on links, and you'll never go back. :D
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#29 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:08 AM

And -- TABBED BROWSING!  Control click on links, and you'll never go back. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lots of cool extensions also: EXIF, one button translations, spellchecker, control the brower with mouse gestures...
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#30 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:12 AM

I also like shortcuts for bookmarks. For example, I type "gd 123 foo st. 94607" to get google maps directions from my house to 123 foo st. in zip code 94607. And I type "gl japanese restaurant" to look for local japanese restaurants around me.

All these little shortcuts save soooo much time.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#31 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:43 AM

sorry eric ... i was logged out again

but firefox still rocks for all the above reasons and because it helps me log in faster in a safe with with its password protected passwords wow.

:D but doesn't help me stay logged in.
this is only a forum problem still .. it said i was logged in on the front page then when i clicked through to forum not even in an external window or tabi was logged out. ;) sorry clean cahce and everything this time

::>> and again ... i'll try clearing out firefox again maybe i did something.

Posted Image

::>> ok .. it must just be me ... it's ok i think i have a solution .. I will hold a flaming torch near my pc until it gives in and works properly. It's been screwing with me all of last 'sleepless' night while i fought with various versions of php coding that kept coming out of my head.

#32 Ponsui

Ponsui

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:32 AM

Eric,
The site looks great! Thanks for all the work.

I also miss the "5 last posts" module at the main page. Maybe it can make a comeback? :D

By the way when I check my user cp I get the following message: "Your email address has been changed because it was in use by another account. This means that all email will NOT go to your correct email address - this could include lost password notifications, etc. PLEASE change your email address immediately."
But the CP still displays my actual email. If it was in use by another account, I don't know who else could be using it.

Is this just a bug, or am I not going to be able to get any emails from wetpixel anymore? Please let me know how to correct this.

Peace,
David

#33 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:40 AM

By the way when I check my user cp I get the following message: "Your email address has been changed because it was in use by another account. This means that all email will NOT go to your correct email address - this could include lost password notifications, etc. PLEASE change your email address immediately."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the same problem, maybe some old lingering account I dont even know exists anymore?

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#34 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:56 AM

I wonder if there are duplicate e-mail addresses in the database. The old version of the site wasn't so sensitive to such issues, because the forum software sucked.

Can those of you having the problem e-mail me your registered e-mail addresses? I'll take a look.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#35 larrym

larrym

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:46 PM

Eric, (see Post #21) I'm using XP Home, Explorer settings for font are on Largest, and yes character size on the whole site is pretty much the same size. I have a 19" LCD, but still squinting (which Smiley has the squinty eyes??)

Larry

#36 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:02 PM

Fonts: the main areas (non-forum) of Wetpixel use 12px Verdana, which I think is plenty big enough.

It certainly is much larger than the forum fonts, so I'm confused as to why the entire site's font size looks the same to you...?

Another note: IE doesn't honor larger font-size for fixed font settings. FireFox does. :D

I'll work on it, though.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#37 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:04 PM

i think my email address used to be giles at digitallywet dot com
i just literally before the change over updated it to photo at caymaniac dot com

I don't recall any other email addresses my user name has always been digitallywet.
Would the old sytem have duplicated users as there was the two profiles ? because i have never changed username and kept same email address.

for anyone having trouble out there logging in my fix seems to be using http://wetpixel.com instead of http://www.wetpixel.com

just to save any extra clicking for anyone else:)

#38 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:20 PM

Giles -- thanks for being so NAGGY! :D I figured out the problem -- it was a cookie domain issue between the two systems. both www. and wetpixel.com should keep you logged in now.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#39 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:22 PM

i'm not naggy ... i have this girl ... she's right here making me type it .... i swear

i personally blame my irritating gif avatar !!

#40 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:23 PM

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to bad all users with animated avatar images. :D
eric cheng