Photo

Wetpixel Feb 2005 Migration Feedback

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:38 AM

Oh No wait :) ... I am looking at your post now ... and it is dated 'yesterday' ... :(
... and then it says ... I am going to be 'bad'ded' today :D .. which yesterday was 'tomorrow' ... but wait ... today tomorrow is not today it's tomorrow ... omg ....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
(nb. image added for reference to day facts for future reference when said facts are not entirely true anymore or at least current. :( Posted Image )
wait ... I know ... Flash will save us .......... aaa aaaaaah .... he's the saviour of the universe !!! ;)

And now on a serious point of nagging .... I have found the most majour floor with the new site, and I am pretty sure it is not a browser thing but someone tell me if I am wrong .. I am a firefox 1.0 user in xp sp2.
When I am surfing the ever surfable wetpixel forums until the new release when I clicked back .. not only did I return to the page I had been on ... but I also returned to the area I had been looking at. I long multi paged posts this was very usefull. :D
Now when I click the back button in my browser (or my easy gestures wheel, or my keyboard etc etc :) ) I do go back a page as suspected I should, but I return to the top of the page ... and most the time thats not where i want to me .. and I have to scroll down ... or pg down ... How does that change ? I mean it's one of those things that if anyone notices you will get over quickly whilst a pain .. convenience doesn't need to be 24/7 I am just curious what does that more than anything ;) .. I don't even know if anyone else will have noticed or even want it fixed or if it happens to anyone else for that matter ..... and i'm not nagging .... if i was nagging i'd be making phone calls <_< .. and you don't want me to be doing that as I either have or can get most of you all's phone numbers some how through other means of nagging !!!! If you want you can simply rename this thread the giles nag nag nag nag and bloody nag some more thread B)

And who picked the number 11 to be the maximum number of emoticons in a post .. do you realise how much i had to edit this post .. and finding emoticons is hard !!
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#42 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:44 AM

I am a firefox 1.0 user in xp sp2.
When I am surfing the ever surfable wetpixel forums until the new release when I clicked back .. not only did I return to the page I had been on ... but I also returned to the area I had been looking at. I long multi paged posts this was very usefull. ;)
Now when I click the back button in my browser (or my easy gestures wheel, or my keyboard etc etc :D ) I do go back a page as suspected I should, but I return to the top of the page ... and most the time thats not where i want to me .. and I have to scroll down ... or pg down ... How does that change ?

It's Firefox that does that - not site dependent. I've lived with it for awhile...minor annoyance.

~Matt Segal
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#43 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:02 PM

Hi Eric et al,
Every time I log in, I get a message demanding I change my email address....what's with that?
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#44 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:04 PM

and I'm not in Vancouver anymore....I changed my profile, but seems I still live in the city....
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#45 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:43 PM

Hi Eric et al,
Every time I log in, I get a message demanding I change my email address....what's with that?
Cheers,
Marli

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Demanding, huh? I guess the board has attitude, or something. :D

I don't know what this problem is, but I know how to solve it. David (Ponsui) found that if you set your e-mail address to a second address, go through the e-mail change process, and then change it back, the message goes away.

It must be a problem with the forum migration code, whichI didn't write. The solution is easy, but I apologize for the inconvenience.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#46 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:26 AM

Demanding, huh?  I guess the board has attitude, or something. :(

Sure it's the board with the attitude now ... not me nagging hey ... i was going to try and get me a girlfriend this year .. apparently a relationship has started ;)

It must be a problem with the forum migration code, which I didn't write. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh thats just like a relationship blame it on someone else when it goes wrong :D
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#47 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:49 PM

Only thing I would like to see changed on the new layout, is LARGER FONT SIZE.  I have a large monitor, and all other internet content comes up easy to see, but this font is about a #6... (I'm trying to put off glasses as long as possible!!)
Larry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FWIW, l could use a larger font size also....my laptop requires 1920 x 1200....ouch!

Great for viewing photos, but a bitch to read small print :D

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#48 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

FWIW, l could use a larger font size also....my laptop requires 1920 x 1200....ouch!

Great for viewing photos, but a bitch to read small print  ;)

Karl

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Karl -- that's just ridiculous. :) I bought a notebook that is 1400x1050 precisely because higher density monitors aren't properly supported by operating systems yet. Well, you can sort of do it, but everything looks strange.

Craig has a 9 megapixel display at his place, and you can't read anything on it. But you can fit an 8 megapixel image on it at 100% without scrolling. :)
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#49 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:18 AM

Broken layouts for a few threads?

I get a really bad layout for this thread:

http://wetpixel.com/...?showtopic=4232

First of all, it is not wrapping text, so you have to scroll back and forth to read messages.

Second, as you go down, the messages move over further and further to the right!

Does it do it for you?

Don
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#50 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:27 AM

Don, It does that for me too. Thanks for pointing this out.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#51 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:46 PM

It's related to the problem of img tags not showing up until an edit. If I edit each one of the problem threads, the end quote tag works again.

I have to get to the bottom of this and fix them ALL at once!

Moderators, you can always edit and re-save problem posts, and the problem will go away...
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#52 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:55 PM

I found the problem. The old forum inserted all sorts of nasty HTML into each entry when quote feature was used. When a user edits the post, it automatically gets "cleaned" by the system, and works again.

What I need to do is figure out where the cleaning happens, grab that code, and run it on all of the entries. yippee. It's going to take some time. Until then, please report broken posts here, and one of the moderators will get to it (by just editing and saving the first broken post of a thread, and then the next, etc.). Right, moderators? :blink:

For my own documentation, here's an example of what a post used to look like in the database:
<!--QuoteBegin-jamesw+Jan 14 2004, 06:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (jamesw @ Jan 14 2004, 06:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What this means to you and I as underwater shooters is that a true wideangle strobe may not appear as powerful in the center of the spread as a more focused-beam macro strobe.  That's why I believe your flash meter results are not useful to make conclusions like "X strobe is more powerful that Y strobe." [/quote]<br> This is an important point, and well explained.<br><br>Robert Delfs
... and what it looks like after it is "cleaned:"
<!--QuoteBegin-jamesw+Jan 14 2004, 06:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamesw @ Jan 14 2004, 06:55 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What this means to you and I as underwater shooters is that a true wideangle strobe may not appear as powerful in the center of the spread as a more focused-beam macro strobe.&nbsp; That's why I believe your flash meter results are not useful to make conclusions like &quot;X strobe is more powerful that Y strobe.&quot; <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><br />This is an important point, and well explained.<br /><br />Robert Delfs

eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#53 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:41 PM

Just trying to help out, by reporting these peculiarities. And glad to know it isn't firefox specific!

Don
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#54 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:26 AM

FYI, from the Wetpixel Forums page....the link to Picture of the Week doesn't work

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#55 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3072 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:00 AM

I also noticed that the POW link doesn't work, neither does the "Mark this forum as read" button.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#56 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:37 AM

POW link works now -- thanks for the note. Mark this forum works too, but you have to clear your wetpixel cookies in your browser -- there was a change early on in the migration (as noted here: http://wetpixel.com/...?showtopic=7668 _
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#57 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:26 AM

I have found the ‘Today’s active topics’ link to be very useful, however, a bookmark of it (which gets titled ‘Search Results’) appears ephemeral. I get it to work for a while (have done a bookmark experiment more than once) but then get a complex error message. :D
Tom

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#58 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:18 PM

Using big words like "ephemeral" deserves a complex error message.............

#59 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:29 PM

Tom - the active topics links should be of the form:
http://wetpixel.com/...&lastdate=86400

You aren't trying to bookmark the resulting URL after you click the link, are you? Because that's not the right one. :D

Is there any pattern that you can see with regard to when the error messages show up?
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#60 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:08 PM

Hi Eric,
Below is a cut and paste since I had not removed the bookmark from the bookmark sidebar in Netscape (Mac OSX latest version). I got the same error message when I did a similar bookmark save previously. It worked for a few times, then didn't. I even had it set up at one time with two, one new and one old and only the newer one worked (but only for a few hours - maybe it re-sets each day?).
I just opened the page and bookmarked the link in your post. It too is titled Search Results. It works right now. It is placed in 'My Sidebar.' It is now set up again with one that does not work and the one I just put which does.
If that is not the right one then what is?
I hope this info is of value
Tom

Wetpixel :: Forums

> Board Message
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, but we did not find any matches to display. Try again and broaden your search criteria. If you were searching for new posts since your last visit, it's possible that there are none to show.
Useful Links

* Forgotten Password Recovery
* Register a new account
* Our help documentation
* Contact the forums administrator

Go Back

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/