• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 07:44 PM

I was posting this in another thread and thought it might be a good tip.

So you're looking for a place to put the big UWL-100 when not using it u/w? What I have done is I took the female end of a metal filter stack cap (the opposite threading of a normal lens cap) and drilled a hole in the center. Since the threading isn't deep enough on the lens cap to reach the threads of the UWL-100, I took a 67mm-72mm and threaded it on then a 72mm-67mm to get it back but give it some depth. I then threaded my mounting bolt for my ULCS tray through the hole of the lens cap and tightend everything down. I now have a place to screw my UWL-100 into when not in use.

________
Robert

#2 giftie

giftie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 09 September 2002 - 01:56 PM

This is a nice tip. Thanks for sharing, going to do the same.
Since I am about to buy the same lens can you tell me the outside diameter of the lens? Does it have any filter thread? I assume it comes with its own protective caps, if not do you happen to know where can I get those neoprene covers?
Jorge Santos
Aquatica D200/Twin DS-125/Hart 250HS/SB-800/10.5DX/12-24DX/17-55DX/105/60/ULCS
Web Gallery

#3 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 02:46 PM

The outside diameter of the len is about 4in (3 15/16) with the little rubber ring on the outside edge. Without the rubber ring it is 3 13/16. No theading on the front at all. It does come with a plastic slip on lens cap. The reason I don't like this is because it is hard to get on and off with thick gloves. Inon has announced a wide angle dome lens adapter that will improve the performance of the lens and by the looks of it you will need to take off the rubber ring and use set screws to secure it to the front of the main lens. Still looking for the neoprene covers. Mabey if Ike sees this thread he can tell us if any of the Ikelite covers will work.

________
Robert

#4 Dee

Dee

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 08:54 PM

Why not email Ike and ask him if he has any?

I like the idea of your lens caddy except for two things.

1) It takes alot of dexterity to screw the len onto the camera because of those small threads. I'm sure the same goes for your caddy. From my experience changing lenses on my old S&S MMII, I don't always have the time or the patience for that.
I'd sure want that lens attached to 'something' in case I dropped it trying to screw it onto either the caddy or the housing.

2) Even with a neoprene lens cover on, with the lens at the bottom of the tray it could take some abuse. At the least it could get in the way of close work on the bottom.

I applaud you your ingenuity. I certainly haven't come up with something but the 2 things I've mentioned are things that went through my mind the last time I had mine u/w.

Email Ike and see if he has a cover!

#5 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 09:19 PM

I'll call Ike tomorrow.

1. In reply to this. Every thread has a "starting/ending point" (my term) which is the point at which when you unscrew the lens it will come off. This point never changes. I have marked my lens and housing (just like a bayounet mounting system has those dots) with these points. I just line up the dots and it threads in very easily. Try this and you will have confidence when doing your lens changes.

2. I know what you meen about this but have been too lazy to change it. If I do decide to change it I will bolt it to one of the holes in the middle of my ULCS arms where it won't be in the way. All I'll need to do to move it to this location is a large flat washer and a locknut.

________
Robert

#6 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 10:05 PM

I think I found a cover check out the Hood Hat at the bottom of this link http://www.optechusa.com/lens.htm#LENS

________
Robert

#7 giftie

giftie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 10 September 2002 - 01:23 AM

I have checked the other thread before looking at this one. From the outside diameter it seems that the one that would fit is Optech's Hood Hat Medium.
Many thanks for the info guys.
Jorge Santos
Aquatica D200/Twin DS-125/Hart 250HS/SB-800/10.5DX/12-24DX/17-55DX/105/60/ULCS
Web Gallery

#8 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 10:33 PM

Got the Optech medium hood today. It fits perfectly.

________
Robert

#9 eagleray

eagleray

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 07:28 AM

hi rstark
would you mind posting a pic of your setup?
thks

#10 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 11:23 AM

Give me a day. I'll get it out tomorrow.

________
Robert

#11 DivinDiva

DivinDiva

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 02:16 PM

On the same note, Does anyone have any ideas for a lens cover for the Aquatica A995 housing? I know how boats can get cluttered and some don't have rinse tanks. I'd like to get something to cover the lens so it doesn't get scratched.

Thanks for the great idea for mounting a UWL. I haven't got my lens yet but I have already been thinking about how to mount it. I had a Sea & sea MMII prior and liked the ability to change lenses UW. I need to find a way to hook the lens to the system. Aquatica needs to design a lens caddy. Maybe you should market yours!
Nikon Coolpix 995, Aquatica A995 housing, Nikonos SB105 strobe/Infinity strobe arm

#12 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 02:52 PM

To protect the lens on the A995 Use a 67mm screw-on metal lens cap. To make it easier to take off I drilled two small holes and put two small allen-head bolts and nuts through. I will post a pic tomorrow.

________
Robert