• DSC_3187.jpg

#2 l.babcock

l.babcock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:caves, Deep shipwrecks and,reefs

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:52 PM

I use a D70 in Ikelite Housing, ikelite 200 on left and a 50 on right strobe, nikon 60 mm and a sigma 15 mm fe

#3 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:14 PM

Hi Larry, my favorite is the shrimp, I like the composition and the stature of the subject, the sponge has good proportional lighting but would have benefited from a vertical composition, the fish shot mmm... maybe a more frontal framing, in any case they are good shots it's easy to redo the world on paper, they well deserves some real estate on the wall.

Cheers
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#4 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:35 PM

I'm with Jean,
My favourite is the shrimp, although I really like the balanced light and divers in the background of the sponge. I think it would have worked vertically as well, but it is fine as it is.
Really nice work (doesn't look like newbie work :-)
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#5 l.babcock

l.babcock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:59 AM

you guys are way too kind, this was my first dive trip with my new toy, there is a lot of knowledge on this forum I have learned just by reading your post.
Here is a link to my web site with more pictures.

http://www.aquatechd...photographs.htm

Thanks Larry

#6 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:27 PM

Nice web site Larry, I like the fish in the sponge better than the one you posted, it say's more about the personnality of the beast, as an exercise I always force myself to shoot a quarter of my shot in vertical composition, try it and you will be surprised at how many time it look right in the finder, take the tube sponge they are begging to be vertical, I've recropped it in photoshop for you.

cheer's

P.S. that's all in Curacao, man everybody tell's me its a dud overthere and it's an hour away from my house in Venezuela, thank's for the shots

Attached Images

• DSC_3025.jpg

Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#7 l.babcock

l.babcock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:16 PM

I have been to a lot of dive destinations, Curacao ranks right there, I even like it better then Bonaire, except for the wreck of the windjammer in Bonaire. Jean thanks for the input on the photos, it helps .

Larry

#8 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:39 PM

eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#9 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:57 AM

The scorpionfish is fine. A slightly more frontal angle might have been better and perhaps reduced the blurry orange at the bottom left.

The sponge shot needed to be take from a lower position. A vertical shot would have made the sponge seem larger and added more water column. I find it pleasing to have some gradation of blue water background, i.e. seeing darker blue move to lighter blue.

The shrimp shot would have been better from a slighly higher position and perhaps to the left and closer. The out of focus foreground to the right bottom is a little distracting.

Having a soft background isn't a killer in and of itself, but there is a clear transition from out of focus to in-focus foreground. I would try to soften up the sand in front of the shrimp.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"