• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:20 AM

Obviously, this thread is not very relevant to me! But I thought it would be useful to start a discussion about what housings are planned/available for Nikon's D2x.

Subal's ND2 housing is available in limited numbers. Although I think that there is a wait for the GS viewfinder. (pictures of mine below)

As far as I am aware Seacam, Aquatica, Sealux, and Nexus all have housings on the way. Can anyone provide any more information on these, plus pictures?

I think that would make this thread a very useful resource for people interested in this camera.

Alex

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:24 AM

Thought I'd do my own research.

Here is the Nexus prototype:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't know anymore than these pix.

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:27 AM

And this sexy beast is the Seacam prototype:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Again I don't know anything about the availability. But if you are in N. America ring Stephen Frink! In the UK Paul Kay is the importer.

Alex

#4 stu1965

stu1965

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:All forms of Photography & Travel

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:35 AM

thanks alex !!

i wonder if light & motion are working on something.
"It is light that illuminates, but shadows that define"

#5 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:25 AM

Light & Motion has no plans for this camera, focusing on video.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#6 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

Light & Motion has no plans for this camera, focusing on video.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I gotta think that is a really bad decision. The D2x should have excellent longevity considering Nikon's slow development cycle. Should present a very good opportunity for housing mfrs to capitalize on investment.
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#7 mrhughj

mrhughj

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:46 PM

I don't see anything on the front of the housing that would allow you to access the function button so you could switch into High Speed Crop underwater. It would be a shame not to have that available for macro work.

HUgh

#8 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:33 PM

[Again I don't know anything about the availability. But if you are in N. America ring Stephen Frink!

Alex]

Alex - Nice thread to originate ... thank you.

As update, I talked to Harald Hordosch of Seacam Austria yesterday. He does of course have the prototype illustrated in the Digideep coverage of BOOT, and he owns a D2H, upon which the prototype was based. But he really needs a D2X to make absolutely/positively sure the housing fits with the precision desired. Apparently, the D2X is not yet availble in Austria. Please have patience. The D2X introduction is a very high priority for Seacam.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#9 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:27 AM

Hugh,

I have made a more detailed reply about the high speed crop on another discussion. But you can still access it very easily through the menus. I don't see many housing manufacturers supporting this control because it is awkwardly placed and wasn't on the D2h - around which most housings were designed.

I would rather use the FUNC button to switch to spot metering UW than any of its other functions.

Alex

#10 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:16 AM

How about the auto/manual focus switch? I am not sure if the D2X switch is in front like the D70 and if yes, I can't tell from Subal picture if there is a lever there or not.
At least over here in Thailand, Nexus may lose out a bit since as far as I know, Subal and Nexus housing will be similarly priced here but with the option on the Subal to add the big viewfinder, I don't see any advantage of getting Nexus over Subal.

#11 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:28 AM

I think nexus users will buy nexus and subal users will buy subal. I gotta think that most D2X buyers will be already invested in a housing system.

I'm impressed and intrigued by the Nexus dome system. They have taken a unique approach to the digital WA solutions, and I hope it pays off for them with smaller domes with equivalent image quality. Their multiport looks cool too. None of my buddies use nexus, though, and I have only handled the housings at trade shows.

The D2X does have the MSC on the front, and it is probably hidden by the dome in the image.

Got my D2x this morning!
Sea & Sea strobes

#12 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 03:19 AM

Got my D2x this morning!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congrats, Kasey.

I am looking forward to hearing what you make of it. I was impressed by the camera the moment I started taking pictures - and then about 10x more impressed when I viewed them on my computer.

Alex

#13 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:25 AM

Too bad most of these housings are still prototypes and the manufacturers don't post size/weight. I'd love to see a size/weight comparison among the several D2x housings.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#14 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:30 AM

I think nexus users will buy nexus and subal users will buy subal.  I gotta think that most D2X buyers will be already invested in a housing system.

I'm impressed and intrigued by the Nexus dome system.  They have taken a unique approach to the digital WA solutions, and I hope it pays off for them with smaller domes with equivalent image quality.  Their multiport looks cool too.  None of my buddies use nexus, though, and I have only handled the housings at trade shows.

The D2X does have the MSC on the front, and it is probably hidden by the dome in the image.

Got my D2x this morning!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was pleased with my Sigma 15mm/Nexus dome combo, Kasey. It's very small and handles well, plus the smaller dome is easier to justify on glass rather than plastic. You're less likely to damage a small dome too. Over/unders aren't good with small domes though and the solution is expensive. I've never used the 10.5mm.

Having had both Nexus and Seacam port systems I'm really fond of the Nexus stuff. Seacam is more willing and able to do custom gears for lenses though and their approach is simpler. Gears from Seacam can be pricey. Soon Seacam will have a multiport system similar to Nexus that works with Canon. I think they can already offer one for Nikon lenses.

Are you undecided on which system you'll be using?
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#15 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:49 AM

Not undecided - I'm definitely loving my seacam stuff. For someone just getting started, though, it is hard to deny the bang for buck of Nexus. I'm intrigued by the new nexus small domes dedicated to the 10.5 and 12-24.

I guess I'm a little like James - always looking to the other side. I finally get my Superdome and I find myself looking at little domes. The Superdome is amazing for over-unders - water runs smoothly off the glass, and I get pretty good results even in light chop.

By the way, you would love the R/G/B histogram in the D2x! Do the canons do that?
Sea & Sea strobes

#16 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:01 AM

Is light & Motion getting out of the still camera housing business? Or just on a video kick right now? I'd hate to see them get out of the still housing business, they are innovative and make a pretty solid product...and I like the fact that they take chances on their designs to differentiate themselves and to make out lives easier. Such as the Titan D100 housing. I ended up going with that housing and I really like it...the ROC is super innovative and gets you more exposures per second than any other housing on the market. :blink:

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#17 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:28 AM

Joe,

I'm not that familiar with the ROC system - but would it be possible to put that wiring into a D2x housing - even if it wasn't made my L&M?

Alex

#18 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:13 AM

I found the dimensions and weight for the Subal and Seacam, here they are:

W (with handles) x H x D x Weight (with port)
Seacam 260 (360) x 210 x 130 mm x 2850g (3150g)
Subal 215 (???) x 215 x 155 mm x 2700g (??????)

Unfortunately, no information on the Nexus.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#19 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 01:08 PM

Interesting comment above regarding Light & Motion. I emailed them a few days ago asking them to speculate whether they'd produce a housing for a D200, should that camera surface. They spoke highly of the D100 in their Titan housing as yet a strong performer in the underwater arena. When asked to speculate, they mentioned they probably would design a housing for a D200, but also mentioned that being at least a couple years out.
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#20 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 02:08 PM

In water buoyancy is more important to me than out of water weight. I know of several manufacturers that don't want those specs published...

LMI's ROC controller is really two parts, remote control of the camera, and a strobe guide number controller built into the grips. Having used this housing for the past 18 months, I agree with Joe's comments.

If I were a housing builder, I wouldn't bother incoporating remote camera control, as it is a bit of reinventing the wheel. Ergonomically placed mechanical controls are more intuitive to use, in my opinion, and Subal, Seacam, and Nexus have proven that they can be placed at the photographers fingertips.

ROC strobe control is another story entirely. Ikelite has a very similar system on their new canon systems, allowing manual strobe control from the housing back. ROC builds good exposure habits, making the photographer more likely to adjust strobe output than aperture. It is very convenient.

Light & Motion intended to build for the d70 camera, but it was incompatible with their ROC Camera Control (meaning they would have had to use mechanical controls for shutter speed and aperture). My guess is they canned the project because the housing would have been much later to market than their competition.

If the d100's replacement offers the same remote control layout as the d100, and fits in the same casting, it is a very safe bet that light & motion will house it.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com