#1 famorim

famorim

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:photo and dive

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:46 PM

Hi folks,
I'm planing a vacation photo trip to Grand Cayman in May. Does anyone recommend a dive operator ?

how about the dive sites after the September 2004 huricane ?

Thank you.
Fabio

Fabio Amorim - PBASE Gallery
Canon 5D Mark 3 | Aquatica housing | S&S YS120 Strobes | Ultralight Arms

#2 shark8matt

shark8matt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:marine biologist - I study sharks and stingrays

Posted 08 March 2005 - 09:42 PM

Fabio -

I am a big fan of Ocean Frontiers out at the east end of GC. They tend to dive the eastern north wall where there is less diver traffic/less impacted. Also look into shore dives at Sunset House (no one can resist a shot with the mermaid) and Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto. If you need photo help look up Cathy Church at Sunset House or Mike Nelson of Bone Dry Photo at Don Foster's. Its really hard to go wrong in Grand Cayman - spectacular diving off every side of the island. Hope that helps!

regards...

- MP
Matthew D. Potenski

The Shark Research Institute -Director of Field Operations
Bimini Biological Field Station - Sharklab - PIT Project Staff

www.matthewdpotenskiphoto.com

#3 carib-blu

carib-blu

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Sundays- 2 tank a.m., Nascar p.m.

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:24 AM

Glad to hear you are planning a trip down! The folks at OC are quite good and you will enjoy diving with them. Your choice for operators might, too, depend on where you are staying. I have lived in Grand Cayman since the end of 1993 and have dove with all of them at one time or another. Dive Tech in West Bay is an excellant choice, their partners at Cobalt Coast can also offer a accomodation/diving package. It might be wise to check out their website and see what kind of deals are on promo.

I would highly recommend Red Baron Divers. I have known Nick and Patrick a long time. Very personal service, fast boats, limited passenger. They normally dive with a max of 6 divers. Check out the website for redbarondivers.com
Both Nick and Patrick are photo gurus and could offer assistance in that dept. as well.

For shore diving, the mentioned "Mermaid" at Sunset House is a great spot. My underwater wedding was held there. Or, right behind Dive Tech near the turtle farm in West Bay is one of the premier night dives on island. I live right around the corner from it and dive it regularly. I would be more that happy to guide it for you when you're down! Let me know if I can help, glad to help fellow wetpixelers!!

Aurabest,
john
Do Something Nice for Yourself...GO DIVING!!

Nikon D100, Titan Housing, YS120's, 10.5, 17-35, 60, 105, MAGIC FILTERS!

#4 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:57 AM

All suggestions are great so far

only one other I would throw in for boat diving is
Absolute Divers he's a great guy I have worked with, very relaxed and if not busy you get what you want when you want it and normally a very empty boat.

shore diving greats ... turtle reef, sunset house, eden rock, there are others but dem is local secrets :blink:
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#5 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 05:42 PM

I have to second (or is it third) the suggestion for Sunset House for shore diving. Not only do they have a mermaid, but they've also got a small wreck that makes an interesting night dive.

Devil's Grotto/Eden Rock should not be missed either for shore dives.
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#6 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:36 PM

I forgot to add ... damage to reef .. you wouldn't know about when looking really.

DigiJam Trip Report 2005

Same trip different report

It's all still there trust me :blink:
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#7 famorim

famorim

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:photo and dive

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

Hi folks,
thank you for all sugestions, I read all and now I'm sure that cayman will delivery a great time vacation.

john, I will contact you some days before my trip to get some information about wheather and dive condition.

Thanks again.
Fabio

Fabio Amorim - PBASE Gallery
Canon 5D Mark 3 | Aquatica housing | S&S YS120 Strobes | Ultralight Arms

#8 carib-blu

carib-blu

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Sundays- 2 tank a.m., Nascar p.m.

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:34 AM

Sounds good, look for you soon

john
Do Something Nice for Yourself...GO DIVING!!

Nikon D100, Titan Housing, YS120's, 10.5, 17-35, 60, 105, MAGIC FILTERS!

#9 shark8matt

shark8matt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:marine biologist - I study sharks and stingrays

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:57 PM

I second John's vote of confidence in red baron - Nick is one of the best dive masters on the island and thats saying something because it is GC after all. I was lucky enough to have the luxury of two boats when I lived in GC and was able to freedive and dive a lot of off the beaten track spots in the south and west of the island when I went. Some other favorite spots include hammerhead hill (north wall), tarpon alley (north wall), the Oro Verde wreck (west side), and any reef off the turtle farm (west side). Oh yeah - and I hear they have a few stingrays down there too... Actually while I am on that subject - John or Giles since you live down there - I studied the stingrays for 2 years and was interested in how they fared through the hurricane - I have had nothing but positive reports from both Stingrays City and Sandbar. Do you guys have any feel for how long it took the rays to be back at the sites? Just scientific curiosity. One last pointer - if you want to get awesome stingrays shots - go to sandbar about 6:30-7:00 AM - its before the cattle boats get out there, there are usually 50-90 rays swimming in a polarized school, and the viz is awesome because there aren't a thousand sets of feet stirring up the sand yet...

regards...

- MP
Matthew D. Potenski

The Shark Research Institute -Director of Field Operations
Bimini Biological Field Station - Sharklab - PIT Project Staff

www.matthewdpotenskiphoto.com

#10 climbrox

climbrox

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

I just got back from Grand Cayman a couple weeks ago. I second the nod for Ocean Frontiers on the east end of the island. They're extremely well organized top side and yet not too rigid when it comes to dive plans. With out question it is the best dive operation I've had the pleasure of using.

I dove Stingray City with RedSail because they were closer to where we were staying on Rum Point and it meant a shorter boat ride. I was expecting the worst to be honest but it was a very pleasant experience and the DM spent the entire dive trying to set me up for good shots. I was the only one with a camera and he had me first off the boat so I could get shots of rays entering the area before other divers jumped in and spent a portion of the pre-dive brief asking other divers to be wary of kicking up sand near me.

Edited by climbrox, 28 May 2009 - 11:32 AM.

David
www.safanda.com