131 replies to this topic

#101 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:16 AM

Hi,

I would not recommend using an 8" dome port with the 100mm lens. You won't get as much magnification, but more importantly, there's a VERY good chance that you'll scratch the dome when you get in close for macro shooting.

I would plan on purchasing one dome port, with appropriate extension rings, (I doubt the same ring will be ideal for use with BOTH the 10-22 and the 18-55) and one flat port. That's how most housings work - two port-fronts and a bunch of extension rings and gears.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#102 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:03 AM

James,

Thanks for testing the 15mm with this port. You state that the extension ring is a few mm too long.

If the sharpness looks good and it doesn't vigenette then what is the problem with using this extension ring?

Also, with the 18-55mm extension ring you have, how close is the donought on the back side of the dome to the port snaps? Can you still get your fingers in there? I'm assuming that to use the 10.5mm you will need a shorter extension ring. Does it look possible to use a shorter extension and still work the snaps?

Just trying to budget (and prepare my wife) for the three major UW purchases I have planned this year.

1) MF/AF port for the 105mm
2) iTTL conversion (when available)
3) Port for the 10.5mm (could be the 8" dome)

If I get the 8" dome it would be nice to move to one port and set of extensions for my WA lenses. I currently have 3 dome ports and the 10.5mm 5503.15 would make four.

Thanks

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#103 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:37 AM

FYI...the 10.5mm will not work with the 8" dome....even with the shortest extention
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#104 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:55 AM

Hi Newbie,

I don't have an extension ring for the 18-55. I have a ring that Ike sent me to test with the 10-22 and I think it is the proper length (based on my test results) so I'm assuming Ikelite will put it in their port chart and it will be "official."

With the ring I have, there is just enough clearance to latch and unlatch the port. I doubt you could "bring the port closer" to the housing, without altering the doughnut design. This is why the current design doesn't work with the 10.5mm Nikkor.

RE the 15mm Sigma: I have used this lens in the past w/ an Aquatica housing and the lens sticks a bit further into the port. Based on my experience, that looked like the right spot for the lens with respect to the radius of curvature. That's not to say that when I used the dome on the Ikelite housing yesterday and the lens didn't stick out as far that the image wasn't good. I think the sample I posted looks good, but it may because fisheye lenses are very forgiving in this regard.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#105 Dixter

Dixter

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:05 PM

James, like you say... no 100MM in the 8" port...

I was thinking I would only need two ports for my lens selection at this time....

The 100mm macro port and the 8" port for wide shots using 10-22 or 18-55

thanx for posting your tests

#106 Dixter

Dixter

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 02:55 AM

Wow, Check out some of the Shark pictures that was posted yesterday....

I'd have to say that the Ike 8" port did very well... :)

Now If I could only get B&H to ship me my housing.....

Already have the large port and the 10-22mm lens, can't wait to go play with it...

Its first trip is going to be Komodo.. :(

#107 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:11 AM

Karl,

I imagine you were using the 8" dome on the trip? What did you think? I looked at the site quickly but couldn't find the photos with the 8" dome. Do you have any examples? How does it compare to the standard ports in real-world shooting?

Great shots everyone!

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#108 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:27 AM

I used the 8" dome for all my photos...all I shot was WA with the Sigma 15 and the 12-24

I thought the performance was better than what I usually get with the smaller dome.

The larger dome makes the rig positive....1 ended up with a 2 pound weight on the tray to make the rig neutral underwater....the dome always wanted to tilt up, but it really isn't that bad unless you are shooting a lot one handed....the dome is unprotected and easy to scuff....minor scratches come off easily with toothpaste or mild acrylic polish....a fisheye shade would be nice to have

FWIW, I'll always use this dome from now on....except for the 10.5mm

My webpage should be updated in the next day or two with more shots

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#109 waja

waja

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:44 AM

The larger dome makes the rig positive....1 ended up with a 2 pound weight on the tray to make the rig neutral underwater....the dome always wanted to tilt up, but it really isn't that bad unless you are shooting a lot one handed....the dome is unprotected and easy to scuff....minor scratches come off easily with toothpaste or mild acrylic polish....a  fisheye shade would be nice to have

Karl

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe the Ike 8" SE should have a 1.5lb fisheye shade to both balance the camera and protect the dome. Karl, is your rig so positive bouyant that it would float away without the 2-lb weight?
Rick

Canon EOS 5D Mk II; Canon 14mm II; Canon 50mm f/1.4; Canon 100mm macro; Canon 24-105mm
Aquatica 5D Mk II housing
Aquatica AquaView Viewfinder
Dual Sea&Sea YS-250Pro
ULCS Arms
http://www.ricklevesque.com

#110 richorn

richorn

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:38 AM

always use this dome from now on....except for the 10.5mm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why wouldn't you use it for the 10.5, and what is the option?

I use this dome on the Aquatica with the S2, and was told that the only change I need to make for my 10.5 is to removes the "big" shade and use a shorter extension (or none, can't remember).

Also, Aquatica does make shades for both the 12-24 configuration and the 10.5 configuration. Wont these fit on the Ike dome setup? When I looked at the Ike setup last week on a friends rig, the outer diameter looked the same to me...
Richard

#111 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:48 AM

Richard,

Because of the parts needed to interface between the Ike housing and Aquatica dome, the shortest extension will still cause vignetting with the 10.5mm...it can't get as close to the housing as it can with an Aquatica housing...bummer, but the Ike 10.5mm dome works very well IMHO

The Aquatica shades will work....I just need to BUY one :)

Karl
www.kdietz.com

#112 richorn

richorn

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:59 AM

duhh... forgot about the "built-in" extension.

Don't think the lens shade is going to correct your weight issue, but it wont hurt either!
Richard

#113 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:28 AM

I missed Waja's question.........YES, the rig would slowly rise and float away without the extra 2 pound weight....rig still trys to tilt up, but it's not too bad unless you are doing a lot of one handed shooting
www.kdietz.com

#114 scubag

scubag

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:27 PM

I don't know if this helps anyone, but here are a couple images shot last month with the Canon 20d, 10-22mm zoom at 10mm, Ikelite housing and acrylic dome #5503.50 All these are uncropped shot at F8 with strobes (except the starfish shot at F11). Corner sharpness is quite good, perhaps a pinch soft in the upper right hand corner at F8. Original images shot RAW (CR2) but these are medium jpegs 800 x 533 pixels.

Doug

Attached Images

• deep_sponge.jpg
  • engine.jpg
  • starfish.jpg

#115 TomStack

TomStack

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:54 PM

This is why acrylic is primarily used in
Hey all,

For what it's worth, I read years ago about acrylic optical properties being superior to glass,
read all:

Scubag: really nice shots! but...still some falloff/corner softening. the Canon 10-22 is an
amazing lens, but corner sharpness still eludes me. We're doing pool (awggggg!) on Friday
AM with various port extensions and hope to put the issue to rest!

Tom Stack
http://www.tomstackphoto.com

applications that take advantage of its superior clarity, scratch
resistance and UV stability characteristics. Acrylic is also more
transparent than glass, lighter in weight, and is used in many
applications where glass has been traditionally used.

The exceptional weatherability of acrylic also makes it ideal for
most outdoor applications where transparent materials are
required. Acrylic is very rigid, providing stability in design.

Perhaps the most outstanding feature of acrylic materials is their
optical clarity. Acrylic transmits more light than any other
material. This makes it an excellent choice for lenses and other
applications where optical quality is required.
http://www.plasticsm...pp-acrylic.html

Tom Stack
http://www.tomstackphoto.com

#116 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:22 PM

I like the way they say "superior scratch resistance." LOL - superior to what, butter!?!?!?

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#117 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:36 PM

I like the way they say "superior scratch resistance." LOL - superior to what, butter!?!?!?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) :( :(

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#118 shark8matt

shark8matt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:marine biologist - I study sharks and stingrays

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

Quick question - when ordering an aquatica shade for use with the ike 8" and the canon 10-22 efs - I neew to order the WA shade (Aquatica 18482) or will I be able to use the fisheye shade with it as well. I like the fisheye shade beacause it sticks out a bit further than the WA shade - more protection...

regards...

- MP
Matthew D. Potenski

The Shark Research Institute -Director of Field Operations
Bimini Biological Field Station - Sharklab - PIT Project Staff

www.matthewdpotenskiphoto.com

#119 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:15 AM

I would get the fisheye shade....the WA shade is huge....I'll sell you mine for $50 if you want one

Karl
www.kdietz.com

#120 Peter Schulz

Peter Schulz

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:29 AM

Anybody have a picture of what the Aquatica dome port shades look like?
Nikon D70 with Nikkor 10.5, 18-70, 60mm & Sigma 15mm lenses in Ikelite housing with 2 Ikelite DS 125s.
Website Gallery