• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Krash

Krash

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 07:48 AM

I'm looking at Saba for my honeymoon in November. Any dive experience there?

#2 Ressner

Ressner

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 12:59 PM

Sorry for the long delay before reply. I just joined this forum and didn't see your message until just now.

Wife and I were on Saba about three years ago, just after the big hurricane. Some of the island infrastructure was gone (like Captain's Quarters), but underwater all was well.

Stayed at Juliana's. Very friendly small inn (they're all small on Saba). Room included breakfast and a box lunch on dive days. There are numerous good restaurants with reasonable prices for dinner. Try them all.

Dove with Saba Deep. It's a little different from the usual tropical resort where you fall out of bed into the boat. Here you're staying at 1200 ft altitude. The dive package includes cab transfers from the village to the boat every day. The diving was fairly laid back, with long surface intervals on the boat in a sheltered anchorage. All dives were led by a divemaster, but they weren't too pushy about keeping everyone together.

It's a fantastically beautiful island. If you're in good physical condition, do the climb of Mt Scenery (but not right after diving!). There's also a really picturesque guy who is a professional tour guide and will take you on a variety of walking tours. We got him to take us to the sulfur mine and the tide pools. It was a good way to spend the last day before returning home. Can't remember his name, but Juliana or the folks at Saba Deep will know who I'm talking about.

If you go, let me know how you liked it. I can have a vicarious vacation by sharing yours, and I don't even have to take a day off.

#3 Krash

Krash

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 01:37 PM

I booked since I last posted. We are staying at Willards and diving Saba Deep. I hear the diving is somewhat unique. I am going to try to make a filter for my Ike CP5000 wide angle port for scenic shots of volcanic formations. I'll share pics when I return.

#4 Ressner

Ressner

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 07:09 AM

Volcanic formations? I guess you're talking about the pinnacles. That's what Saba is famous for, though the shallower reefs are probably better dive sites (I like Ladder Labyrinth).

I have little experience with wide angle, but the shots you're planning will be difficult. The pinnacles are at least 50 ft in diameter and they top out around 100 ft deep. Natural light is pretty dim down there, and a strobe will have a hard time lighting that large a formation. Good luck.

#5 Krash

Krash

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 07:05 PM

Just got back - wonderful island. We were there 8 nights but we only dove 4 days. We dove with Saba Deep as well. We hiked Mt Scenery, Sandy Cruze, Crispeen and Maskhorne. We took almost 800 photos. One day, we took a cab to Hell's Gate, loaded up on water and snacks, hiked the Sandy Cruze to The Bottom for lunch at Queen's Garden and then hiked the Crispeen to Windwardside to get back to Willards Hotel - 6 1/2 hours :blink:

It will be a while before I finish weeding through the pics, but here are a couple that may take you back...

The Needle (wanted a filter for these types of pics)
Posted Image

Diamond Rock and dive boat (viewed from Sandy Cruze)
Posted Image

#6 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 01:36 PM

Now that's one COOOL photo of that pinacle. It definately gives you depth perception. Saba may have to go on the short list