• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:58 AM

Thanks Alex for taking the time to post this information and photos. Using all the lenses and ports really helps too. The cleaner shot is a monster. I'd love to see a cropped for detail 16x20 of that one. Wow.

Rand

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! Not bad for a snap shot :D

The large LCD and the RGB histogram looks really great.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#22 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6185 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 15 March 2005 - 02:25 PM

Just read the review, and i am exceedingly jealous.
The autofocus capabilities really turn me on, i swear my D70 is ages slower than my F90 in that regard.
Thanks for posting the review Alex.

Soo, once again, anyone interested in purchasing a liver? I'm only 33 so its not that well used...(actually it is now that i think of it)
HOw about a spleen?

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#23 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 15 March 2005 - 03:38 PM

Thanks, Alex, for posting the review! I've been out of town, and busy for the last few days.

Hopefully with enough admins around, I will never be the bottleneck again. :D
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#24 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

You mean galley slaves? :-)
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#25 DavidG

DavidG

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

Hi Alex ,

Thanks for shearing all that information about the D2x, the photographs look amazing. When are you coming to the Turks & Caicos Islands? ... then you can let me try it :D

David
Subal ND20, Nikon D200 and lots of water to photograph.

http://www.worldofoceans.com

#26 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for all the feedback on the review. I hope that it continues to be helpful, and that other members contribute reviews of different housing brands when they get them.

Alex

Oh, and since I have had a couple of emails asking for more 100% crops here is the grouper's eye.

Posted Image

Attached Images

• eye.jpg

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#27 jtresfon

jtresfon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:52 AM

Hi Alex

Thanks for all the really useful information.

I am struggling with sunburst shots in particular. My sunburst shots taken with a D70 do not come out well at all, and yours taken with the D2X are mind-blowing.

I have read through a couple of the old posts on the topic but am new enough at Digital SLRs not to have anything approaching a complete understanding.

My question is, will my sunburst pics get materially better with practice and experience or does the D70 simply not have the tonal range to effectively handle these shots?

Attached is a pic taken in Cape Town at a depth of 40m with visibility of +/- 10m and really bad surface conditions (3m swells). How do I get the sunburst to look more like yours....???!!!

JHT__2_.jpg

#28 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:25 AM

How do I get the sunburst to look more like yours....???!!!

Buy a D2x!! Just kidding... You may want to take a look at this thread where Alex explains (and tests) sunburts with a D70. I think that you overexposed the background on your sunburst picture. You can try higher shutter speeds with the same aperture.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#29 Shootout

Shootout

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:17 AM

Alex,
Your choice of images really show off the capabilities of the hardware and your talent. Good job!

I was especially impressed with the URPro filter shots. I bet most viewers pass this over without realizing that this color is attained without stobes. Especially the anthias/soft coral reef scene. They don't have the punch of some of the rich saturated macros (especially the turtle), but the fact that they are available light is encouraging.

This is a technique that slide shooters never embraced - video yes, but film, no. Digital gives that immediate feedback to reinforce what is working, and whats not. You say you manual white balanced prior to the shot. Did you card it? Or just try to balance the composition to contain a mix of red and blue subjects. What was the single most cause of rejects? Brownish blues? Warm objects that were close?

What a way to lighten our load! No strobe color photography!

Lastly what about the D2X, made for easy white balance?
Keep up the good work.
Richard Todd
EPIC

#30 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:31 AM

Hi Richard,

I had my grey card with me - but didn't take it underwater as I do not have a convenient place to carry it on my wing (I lost my BC, with its greycard carrying cummerbund, in Hurricane Ivan). So I was just white balancing on the subject. Seemed to work pretty well. I would like to fine tune these WBs a bit in ACR, but at the moment that is not possible because I can't read my D2X RAW files!

I agree with your comments about filters on film.

I don't think that the D2X is any more suitable than any other camera for custom white balancing. I think many cameras do a very good job!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).