• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmdasia

cmdasia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 07:18 PM

This weekend I took out my 4040 (Pt10) and DS125 with slave sensor for the first time - exposure of shots in lighting terms was fine but the pics were not very "sharp" - on looking at the EXIFs I noticed that the shutter speed on every shot was 1/30 sec.

I used both P mode and A mode - in A mode aperture was set to F9 - but all the shots used 1/30 sec (which I think accounted for the lack of sharpness).

Could any other users with the same equip' let me know what "regular" settings they prefer for the DS125/slave sensor/4040 combo??

Many Thanks:(

#2 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 02:41 AM

go to www.jaytreat.com for c4040 tips

I've never had much luck with P or A mode because of the problem you're having......camera picks a shutter speed that is usually too slow.......I usually shoot in manual mode and start with a shutter speed of 1/125
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#3 Peter Schulz

Peter Schulz

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 05:41 AM

Jay Treat's site covers most of what I might offer. But for a different view, see my site at the following URL.

http://www.splashdow...aphy/index.html
Nikon D70 with Nikkor 10.5, 18-70, 60mm & Sigma 15mm lenses in Ikelite housing with 2 Ikelite DS 125s.
Website Gallery

#4 cmdasia

cmdasia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 07:54 PM

Thanks a lot for that - it really helped. have just spent a week in Puerta Gallera shooting in manual the whole trip - I was quite surprised how easy it was and how generally consistant the results were (95% of shots were macro so a little of adjustment was all that was needed at most - mainly between 1/8 power and 1/4 power at f9 and 1/650 sec).

I have completely given up on the Ikelite TTL selection on the strobe which has proven quite frustrating, especially for macro shots.

#5 markk

markk

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 04:33 AM

Do you have any of your shots from Puerta Gallera? I'm thinking of a 2 week trip next year and would be interested on how it was for photography (and the diving in general!).

Thanks

Mark

#6 cmdasia

cmdasia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 10:57 PM

Mark,

During the next couple of weeks I am intent on putting a small report in the dive destinations section with some of the photgraphs.

To answer you query quickly - for macro life I was stunned! On every dive I saw things I had never seen before - it was so good I extended my stay there - the list was endless devil fish, frog fish, angler fish, leaf fish, spanish dancers, reticlated nudibranchs, dragonets, pipefish, murex, sea hare, flatworms nudis and slugs galore, mantis shrimp etc etc.

I normally dive in Thailand but on the basis of my trip it was "Thailand 3 Philippines 9" - I was at Puerta Gallera with Atlantis whom I cannot speak highly enough of, the resort, the management and the guides/instructors were not only extremely professional but very very freindly and accomodating also.

I will definitely go back.