1 reply to this topic

#1 giftie

giftie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 20 September 2002 - 01:38 AM

What is exactly the color gamut of Olympus cameras? sRGB color space seems to work ok (and apparently the pciture taking algos should have designed for viewing with hardware that has the same or close specs, monitors with a 2.2 gamma, slightly better color gamut). What sort of settings do you use in Photoshop? For myself I assign a sRGB profile upon opening and request conversion to a wider color working space such as Kodak's Prophoto RGB space. The image seems ok but I would prefer a slightly lower gamut such as 1.8 instead of the 2.2. What do you people do?
Jorge Santos
Aquatica D200/Twin DS-125/Hart 250HS/SB-800/10.5DX/12-24DX/17-55DX/105/60/ULCS
Web Gallery

#2 giftie

giftie

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 25 September 2002 - 12:30 AM

Ok, since nobody replied I reply to myself...ha,ha.
Since I posted the message I did some tests with a Q60 target and although I would not swear by the precision of the results, it looks like the color gamut of the Olympus C3020z is larger than the standard sRGB color space. Bruce color space is a better match for the camera although in some parts the camera still sees colors that are not encompassed by the Bruce space (fits very well my calibrated monitor too). Adobe RGB space encompasses the totality of the camera's color gamut so I changed the settings in Photoshop (colormetric conversion of course) and compared with other color spaces I get colors that are more saturated.
I wonder if someone around here has done some testing on this subject?...
Jorge Santos
Aquatica D200/Twin DS-125/Hart 250HS/SB-800/10.5DX/12-24DX/17-55DX/105/60/ULCS
Web Gallery