Stingers in the water

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 carib-blu

carib-blu

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Sundays- 2 tank a.m., Nascar p.m.

Posted 28 March 2005 - 06:07 AM

Copy_of_DSC_6599_copy.jpg Just a note to say that the current weather in Cayman has brought out numerous Jellies-which is good for those turtle feeding shots but can make you hurt if you aren't paying attention near the surface. Jelly Hydromedusa and thimble jellies were abundant of Cobalt Coast yesterday. Just beware when surfacing. Sorry this image isn't correct but it gives an idea of what you might run into!

Aurabest,
john
Do Something Nice for Yourself...GO DIVING!!

Nikon D100, Titan Housing, YS120's, 10.5, 17-35, 60, 105, MAGIC FILTERS!

#2 richorn

richorn

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:48 PM

Nice shot!
Richard

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:33 PM

There was a portugese man-o-war washed up at the East End today!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 carib-blu

carib-blu

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Sundays- 2 tank a.m., Nascar p.m.

Posted 28 March 2005 - 06:34 PM

'Tis the season. We dove Turtle Reef this afternoon and didn't see near as many as yesterday. Alex, did you manage any shots with the new toy of the porteguese or was the one washed up the only one seen? I have never seen one in the water here. Anyway, glad you're back for a bit, when are you back over this side of the island (west bay)? Maybe we can get a night dive in while you're here. Turtle reef is right around the corner. Let us know!

Aurabest,
john
Do Something Nice for Yourself...GO DIVING!!

Nikon D100, Titan Housing, YS120's, 10.5, 17-35, 60, 105, MAGIC FILTERS!

#5 morrisr

morrisr

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:water and sun in any tropical location - I need it!<br />beer and tequila and rum (not in that order)<br />Photography<br />Belly dancing<br />Marine biology<br />Travel

Posted 21 April 2005 - 11:45 AM

Just got back from Carrie Bow, Belize and we had a cold front come through, after which we got a load of cubamedusae (Carybdea) blown in close to shore. Carybdea have a nasty sting and about 3 people got nasty welts. The larger ones were easier to spot and avoid, but the smaller ones were near the surface and harder to pick out. Thimble jellies were all over too, but they always seem to be there.

Bec
Jelly Biologist

#6 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:04 PM

we saw 3 man o wars on cheeseburger reef on friday

i have only seen them washed up before but these were some really big guys .. not normal to see that many in the same area from what i have seen round here .. but it was a little worrysome when you have 60 people jumping in the water

sea itch has already had a bought round here too ... very early for it .. and the water seemed to cold ... but hopefully that was it for the year .. its the only time of year DM's hate getting in the water.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#7 Beroe

Beroe

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

The pic shows Aequorea — not a particularly bad stinger. Looks like it might have caught a salp too! Cool!