Estimated appeture.......

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 caymaniac

caymaniac

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, reading, nature, skiing - all types, underwater photo., travel, boating.

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:33 AM

I have purchased some Velvia 100 speed. I'm used to using Velvia 50, what kind of appeture gain will I get. I usually use 5.6 at 3ft. max, with a 28 close focus in a Ike with a dome port and Ike 150 strobe.... and end up pretty good, will I only gain a 8.5 or will I be able to hit F11? B)

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:21 AM

Velvia 100F will give you an extra stop over Velvia 50. So if you normally use f5.6 then you will be able to use f8.
Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:28 AM

You have only a one-stop gain in speed so theoretically only a one stop correction is called for. However.... I have shot Velvia 50 at lower than 50. There are several Velvia 100 variants. Apparently a new one was announced at PMA. Because of this uncertainty, you probably should conduct tests and bracket your exposures. I will be curious as to your results because it appears Velvia 50 is going the way of Kodachrome 25 (into the history books) and that Velvia 100 may be the film of choice when color transparencies are called for.
Tom

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#4 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:32 PM

Ioo velvia is not as sweet as 50 I'm told. I will know soon as I have 10 rolls of the new 100 to shoot on my 1 month trip. Most will be 50 velvia and 100 ev kodak. I'll post what i learn. Mark
2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:49 PM

I still use a lot of film, i have used the 100 Velvia quite a bit but to be honest with you i much prefer Provia 100 for blues as compared to the Velvia.

Have to ask...Arcata? and that would be where????

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:46 AM

No. Cal I think.
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#7 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:42 PM

Mike I agree 100% ( i much prefer Provia 100 for blues as compared to the Velvia.) with you on this . Arcata is the closest town to me 5 miles away. Eureka is the bigger town . They both are 6 hours north by car from San francisco Cal. on the coast of Nor Cal. Have to be by the sea with my 2 boats 2 compressors. I have not been to yap since 1985. Then the airport building was a tin roof shack with security guard drolling beetle nut. Any changes since then??? I miss those air mike daze's. Mark
2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world

#8 steph

steph

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:48 PM

Yes it''s true Velvia 50 is gone. None available anymore.

A shot from last Week-end : Velvia 50 canon 100mm 1/90@f16
2 subtronic : Alpha + Mini. TTL + Full

Posted Image

A shot from last Week-end : Velvia 50 canon 100mm 1/90@f8
2 subtronic : Alpha + Mini. TTL + 1/2
Posted Image

Regards
St├ęphane
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sandon/
Nikon D300, Subal housing, GS180, WS45, 8" Subal dome, 4" Zen dome, Subtronic, Inon.
My website : http://www.stephanesandon.com

#9 blues

blues

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:59 PM

Anybody have any updated experience using Velvia 100? I used to shoot Velvia 50 at ASA 32 and was always happy.

I don't have time for a test roll before taking a dive trip, so any help is appreciated.

#10 fdog

fdog

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:27 PM

Hmmph. Feeling all broke down and useless to help, because I don't touch Fuji until 400... an E100G kind of guy...

All the best, James

#11 bella

bella

Wolf Eel

• Critter Expert
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:48 AM

Anybody have any updated experience using Velvia 100? I used to shoot Velvia 50 at ASA 32 and was always happy.

I don't have time for a test roll before taking a dive trip, so any help is appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you take the trip and use Velvia 100? I just did a trip and shot around 50 rolls of Velvia 100 (NOT F) and liked it. I shot it at 80 and sometimes even 64. At 100 I found the images consistently underexposed by 1/3 on average subjects.
-julie edwards

#12 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:09 AM

Velvia 100 is much more like original Velvia. I thought Velvia 100F was okay, but it didn't have quite the warmth that Velvia 50 had. The new Velvia 100 has the super fine grain RMS of 8, with the sharpness of original Velvia.
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#13 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:32 AM

Fuji has said Velvia 50 will be available until mid 2006. (It's still at the labs in Canada, so you may want to order some if you really like it). Provia is still better at the blues (if you're shooting big animals, for example). However, the Velvia 100 is quite lovely; much better for warm saturation than the 100F. The blues are slightly more cyan. I will probably shoot mainly Velvia 100 now, and save the Provia for when I'm guaranteed whale sharks. :)
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig