Bonaire suggestions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rud-gr

Rud-gr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:EDM, travel, scuba and wintersports photographer & Journalist. Works for cool clients like National Geographic, Bacardi-Martini, Heineken, Q-dance, UMF & ID&T.

Posted 11 September 2002 - 06:04 AM

I'm off to diving in Bonaire at the end of Oktober. Does anybody have suggestions for good, affordable dive resorts or places to stay that accomodate divers as well?
Rutger Geerling
Rudgr.com (Facebook, Instagram)
EDM, travel, scuba and wintersports photographer & Journalist. Works for cool clients like National Geographic, Bacardi-Martini, Heineken, Q-dance, UMF & ID&T.
Canon EOS 5D + UK-Germany Housing & 2x Inon Z240 strobes.

#2 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 08:08 AM

We are going in early October and got a great deal at Buddy Dive Resort........includes 4 door truck and unlimited shore diving in package price......good luck

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 08:34 AM

Are you going to the Bonaire Digital Shootout?

Wouldn't want to miss that.

www.theshootout.org I think is the website.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 Rud-gr

Rud-gr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:EDM, travel, scuba and wintersports photographer & Journalist. Works for cool clients like National Geographic, Bacardi-Martini, Heineken, Q-dance, UMF & ID&T.

Posted 12 September 2002 - 01:58 AM

I already noticed that I am going to be totally just too late for the shootout:(:P:(

big bummer!
Rutger Geerling
Rudgr.com (Facebook, Instagram)
EDM, travel, scuba and wintersports photographer & Journalist. Works for cool clients like National Geographic, Bacardi-Martini, Heineken, Q-dance, UMF & ID&T.
Canon EOS 5D + UK-Germany Housing & 2x Inon Z240 strobes.

#5 Don in Colorado

Don in Colorado

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 11:40 AM

I have stayed at Buddies, and I liked it.

If they include a truck, then that is excellent, because car rental prices in Bonaire are sky high, like $350 a week (last time I was there was 5 years ago, so things may have changed.)

Our room was broken into at another resort (NOT BUDDIES), and so we have learned that the caribbean IS NOT Disneyland. We felt quite safe at Buddies.

If you leave anything in your car, expect it to be stolen. If you leave anything out to dry, keep an eye on it, or say goodbye to it. Use common sense. The police on Bonaire really couldn't care less about any problems you have, so if you have problems, get a police report (if you can), and just forget about it until you get home and talk to your insurance company.

Our room was broken into as we were sleeping in the room! This was during festival week in Bonaire.

Put your valuables in a safe place (wherever that is). Get some bells to hang on the doors, so they jingle if opened. Don't leave ANY scuba gear outdoors unattended, even if it is on your porch on the second floor where nobody should be able to get it. Believe me, thieves can get it, easily! Get a mean dog at the humane society to stay in your room while you are gone. (Bring dog food to help the shelter).

Have fun, but don't think the caribbean is crime free, because it isn't.

I still like Bonaire, and I intend to go back. The next time I do go, I will sleep with one eye open and "the Club" attached to my car, and maybe one under my bed as well.

Bonaire has some of the best diving in the caribbean (at least 5 years ago). Enjoy yourself. Buddies is a nice resort, and Bon Bini divers treated us well, if you decide to boat dive. Klein Bonaire is nice.

Good luck. Take lots of pretty pictures, and share your photos with us land locked souls.

#6 DivinDiva

DivinDiva

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 03:59 PM

I was just in Bonaire Feb 2002. I stayed at the Carribean Court. Very nice and affordable. Dive boat and shop on premises. Air, Room, 4 boat dives and unlimited shore dives $1040. Great deal!
Nikon Coolpix 995, Aquatica A995 housing, Nikonos SB105 strobe/Infinity strobe arm

#7 Don in Colorado

Don in Colorado

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 05:55 AM

I don't know if things have improved in the past 5 years, but there is an airline that flys to Bonaire that is affectionately known as:

Always
Late
Man

All
Luggage
Missing

Always
Lieing
Man

If you want to dive with it, carry it on.

Otherwise, be prepared to wait for it to arrive 3 days late ( if ever).

#8 mellingson

mellingson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 10:55 AM

Stayed at Buddies end of last year. Truck rental was included with room. 24hr diving at buddies means 24hr. They have a drive though air station. Drop your tanks off and grab some more. Nitrox is available 24hrs as well. I would suggest holding off on buying a set number of boat dives. We had purchased 6 and used 1.
Do not miss Carpata. Entry is tricky with all the Sea Erchins but a great dive. Had to dive it 3 more times just to see most of it.
Watch for Charlie the Tarpoon at Buddies during night dives. He'll hang out behind you waiting for you to spot fish, then he swoops in for the kill.
as another diver suggested, leave the car unlocked and windows down. If locked, they will break the window and you pay. Dont worry about leaving tanks in the back of the truck unattended. They are not interested in the tanks.

Have fun, take lots of pictures.