• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 larrym

larrym

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:27 PM

Just got a pair of DS-125 strobes. They have the modeling/dive lite feature in them, which I did not have on my old Sea&Sea. Are these lights practical solutions to take the place of a dive lite for night dives? How about with the diffuser on them?

And any difficulties in using them for a focus light? (Canon 20D camera.)

Thanks,
Larry

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:54 PM

They work fine as dive lights. For macro they are a good focus light but I don't like them for larger subjects due to backscatter from lighting the water in front of your subject.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 bobf

bobf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:35 PM

I use a single DS 125 modeling light (don't need both on) at night to find things, but if it's a crustacean or any other skittish creature that I want to capture, I turn it off immediately in favor of a red lens spotting light which works acceptably to achieve focus lock with my Olympus c4040.

To create a night dive red focus assist light, I placed a piece (cut to size with a scissor) of Roscolux #027 film inside a flashlight. Just place the red film between the reflector and the inside of the lens and screw in place. The film is extremely thin and from my experience will not detract from the watertightness of the unit (YMMV :blink: ). I've been successful with this approach with a Pelican 4D and a UK mini Q 40.
oly 4040 and a pair of DS 125's
Inon Macro and an Oly WAL

#4 markprior

markprior

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:48 AM

i have used these strobes both singly and as a pair for night dives. They give easily sufficient light to dive by. However they do not have much penetration giving a fairly diffuse light and this can make it fairly difficult to navigate if you need a light to look for the bottom of a boat say.

If you are diving with someone with a powerful light - one of my regular buddies has a light cannon - then you may feel that they are not strong enough because his light will overwhelm yours. However diving at a distance from others they are fine.

I like them because it means less clutter on a night dive and less of a tendency for all the night critters to disappear in the sun like beams of some torches.

Mark
Sea & Sea D200 Housing - 60mm,105mm, 10.5mm, 12-24mm (All Nikon) Sigma 17-70mm and Tokina 10-17mm lenses and a bunch of Ports.
Lighting: 2 x Ikelite DS-125, 2 x Manual controller

My Pictures

#5 JoelD

JoelD

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:51 AM

One is more than sufficient lighting for me on a regular night dive.

I turn one to staging leaving the other set to on, then switch halfway through the dive...Just in case I didn't charge them after the afternoon dives.
Joel D.
http://www.widgetsandmore.com

Nikon D300, D70s & a bunch of Ikelite stuff and all sorts of stuff my wife doesn't know about. Shhhhhh!

Join the National Association of Photoshop Professionals Today

#6 larrym

larrym

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:00 PM

Well thanks for the feedback. I feel more comfortable leaving one of my dive lites at home now, and just carrying a small backup.

Larry