• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 larrym

larrym

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:10 PM

I just got an Ikelite port (5508.45) for the Canon 100mm USM 2.8 lens. On the 20D camera, it won't fit on the housing without taking off the UV filter, the lens is too long. Not only that but fitting the port into the housing is a little stiff, kinda have to push it; the other ports slip right in. This is the port with the focus knob on it.

Anybody have any problems like this? Or tips? How many of you actually find the focus knob feature useful with this lens?

Thanks, Larry

#2 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:35 PM

Slip port on and let it sit for rubber to compress. We see some variation in rubber thickness on lenses and in our port rubber. Worst case scenario would require removing several strips of the rubber in the port, but I suspect rubber will compress and prove to be fine............

#3 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:33 AM

You are correct that there is not room for a filter.

Using a UV filter underwater makes no sence. Not only no UV penetrates deeper than a few feet but for macro all light comes from the storbe so even if there was some uv around it wouldnt be a problem.

Now the fact that you cant fit a close up filter in there is annoying....I should have made sure to tell Ike to leave room for a close up filter. If you want to use a close up filter with this lens in this port you are limited to external ones.

I have the origional 100mm MF port. I sent my housing and lens and they built the port around my lens so it was a perfect fit. But I sent my housing Back to Ike for ETTL upgrade, and when it came back, the port would no longer fit over my 100mm lens.

It turned out that the new tray was not properly adjusted and was too high by about .5 mm. I had to drill new holes in the base plate in order to center the lens in the port so that it would fit. Ike said that the reason the new tray was not adjusted properly was because I was the first to upgrade but it could be that a few 20D housings got sent out mis-calibrated too.

Check and see if the lens goes in the port when the lens is not attached to the camera. If the lens fits fine when it is not attached to the camera, the issue is the base plate in the housing.

Let me know what you find.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#4 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:43 AM

Ohh and did I find the MF knob usefull. Not really, but I was glad I had it the few times I needed to MF.

The problem with it is that It takes to many turns (like 7) to go from infinity to 1:1 so MF was too slow except for stationary subjects.

And the focus through on the 100mm macro is not very long. The focus through on the sigma 150mm macro that I use now is more than twice as far as the canon. I cant immagine what it would be like to MF with that lens in an Ike port. That said, I wish I had a MF port for this lens just so that it would be an option when I wanted it.

I complained to Ike about this but he said that he has been hearing this complaint for like 20 years but has no plans on changing the gear ratio on his MF ports.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#5 larrym

larrym

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the tips. Seems the lens fits OK into the port alone, little snug but probably the way it should. Then I tried just putting the port into the housing without a lens, or o-ring - this took a little pushing. I think I have a port that may be a bit out of round or something (the other ports just plop in.) So I'll send it back to B&H for another one.

Larry

#6 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:50 PM

Faster to deal directly with Ikelite on any problem. Send an e-mail to <brett@ikelite.com> about your port question. Some of these ports come with a shorter gear sleeve that must be used because standard sleeve is too tall, causing problem you describe. (My memory is not that good answering from home)