115 replies to this topic

#41 dawktah

dawktah

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Trying to learn as much about photography

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:48 PM

Glad to hear you received something! I find myself worried about my upcoming trip since they say on website:

Liability is limited to $2800 per ticketed passenger for travel on or after October 22, 2004
No liability for damage or loss of protruding baggage parts such as wheels, straps, pockets, pull handles, hanger hooks or other items attached to baggage

No liability for baggage carried in the passenger cabin

No liability for photographic equipment, computers, VCRs and any other electronic equipment including software or components, jewelry, cash, documents, furs, works of art or other similar valuable items

Other items that are not covered in our limit of liability include, but are not limited to: antiques, books, china, fragile items, liquids, medicines, perishable items, securities and negotiable papers or silverware

#42 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:56 AM

My sympathies for all who have had bags lost and pilfered.

A while back I talked to my local TSA official in SLC about inspections and locks on bags. The person I talked to was the maager for the operations in SLC (i.e. head offical). I discussed with him several concerns I had about my bags and their contents. The one piece of information he passed on to me was that as a passenger I am allowed to request that my bags be inspected in my presence and then relocked with my own locks.

The inspection can consists of either a machine inspection, hand inspection, or simply and explosive swab inspection. Once inspected the locks placed on the bags can be any lock - it does not have to be a TSA approved lock. This inspection does not need to be repeated.

Some airports are not set up very well to do this whereas others are. And of course this just applies to the US and their territories.

Also it is helpful to travel with copies of the TSA rules as many times the floor inspectors do not know what is what. And if you hand them a copy of their own rules it is hard for them to argue with you.

Cheers,

Allen

#43 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:41 PM

've been there and there is not much you can do. I use an old beat up igloo for my housing, batteries and stuff but locks don't help much. The airlines totally ignor their fuduciary duty to protect their customers belongings and then claim they will only reimburse up to about 1k. They just don't give a damn.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#44 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:22 PM

I'll say it once and I'll say it again. TSA and/or airline personnel have a license to steal your gear and not be held accountable for it. That is the motivation.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#45 dawktah

dawktah

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Trying to learn as much about photography

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

Here's My Solution!

Sit in 14A to 17A. Carry on your case from originating city, board SJU near end of line. If it had turned up missing this is who I would be going to Police about.

--Chris

Attached Images

• my_solution.jpg

#46 Diver Dennis

Diver Dennis

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Diving, hockey skiing

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:08 AM

The thing that really gets me about things being stolen after you check them in is that once the bags leave your hands they are supposed to be entering a secure area. How can things go missing from a secure area? All of us go through a lot of screening to fly these days to make sure flights are safe. If someone can steal bags from a secure area and spirit them out of the airport why can't they bring something like a bomb, in? Bags are supposed to travel on the same plane with you. They are supposed to be tracking these things. In my opinion the whole system is a joke. Security? Window dressing if you ask me.
Sorry for the rant.

#47 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:13 AM

Here's my solution: regular plastic suitcase, with custom-made foam padding to suit my photo gear.

Camera_Kit_Bag.jpg

Not fool-proof, but cheaper, lighter, and less conspicuous than a Pelican case, even though some may say the colour wasn't really the best choice :) :lol:

#48 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:07 AM

Here's my solution: regular plastic suitcase, with custom-made foam padding to suit my photo gear.

Not fool-proof, but cheaper, lighter, and less conspicuous than a Pelican case, even though some may say the colour wasn't really the best choice  :)  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do something similar, packing stuff in a nondescript black roller suitcase that looks about like every other one on the conveyor belt. However, the only problem is that the guys stealing stuff in PR may also be the same guys manning the X-Ray machine. Form the sound of things, it's not a one-man operation there . . .

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#49 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

Camera_Kit_Bag.jpg

Not fool-proof, but cheaper, lighter, and less conspicuous than a Pelican case, even though some may say the colour wasn't really the best choice  :)  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mattdiver
I like your solution!
Where did you get the foam from, please - and any tips for someone copying your idea?
Thanks
Ralph

#50 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:32 AM

Someone tell pelican and the rest to make stealth cases. Ones that look like normal baggage. If they already do, all well and good. If not: Copyright Dean Burman 2006

That simple..

Dive safe

Dean Burman
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#51 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:43 PM

Someone tell pelican and the rest to make stealth cases. Ones that look like normal baggage. If they already do, all well and good. If not: Copyright Dean Burman 2006

That simple..

Dive safe

Dean Burman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HaHa! My bag is actually a Armor Stealth bag, so at least they got you on the name. Originally designed to look just like any other generic black roller suitcase. They came in three sizes -- the large had drain holes and was designed to hold SCUBA gear. I use a medium (the large was just that -- LARGE) and the sides are just hard enough for protection. I pad everything with clothes and bubble wrap . . .

http://shop.divebooty.com/569.html

Discontinued, but you can still find them around sometimes . . .

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#52 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

mattdiver
I like your solution!
Where did you get the foam from, please - and any tips for someone copying your idea?
Thanks
Ralph

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Ralph,

First thing is to make sure everything fits in the suitcase you get, including some padding on all sides.

For the foam itself, I went to a shop that does re-upholstery (that should be easy to find in any city). If the shop can cut it for you using templates of your equipment, then it's easy (that's what I did!).
If they won't cut the foam for you, just get the sheets from them (2" for top and bottom, and 4" for intermediate layers). You can use a standard steak knife to cut the sheets to the shape of your equipment. That's all there is to it.

Mat

#53 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

I was hoping this was behind us, but apparently not-
http://dive.scubadiv...83375#msg-83375

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#54 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:05 PM

Unbelievable. And, we know someone flying through there in June. :angry:
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#55 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:08 AM

At some point someone said that the FBI was investigating this. Any news? Also, I was at the SCUBA SHOW 2006 in Long Beach and Continental has added Bonaire flights that do not go through San Juan. American, watch out!!
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#56 depelos

depelos

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:59 PM

Just thought I'd say that I just traveled for 3 weeks from Cayman to USA to Bali and Sulawesi and to and fro in between and I carried all my camera gear in a big pelican case without any problems whatsoever. It is quite heavy though so it did limit what I could carry inside. I saw mattdiver's case in Singapore when I was there and it is definitely the way to go. Very light and with plenty of space - well done Mathieu.

#57 ryeish

ryeish

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

We were returning from a trip to the west coast when I discovered that all of my bags had been gone through. I had some memory cards in a ziplock bag stored with my shaving stuff and they were gone. Even my dirty clothing had been ruffled, which shocked me because I have some fairly stinky feet and my socks didn't smell too nice. :D

When I called the TSA they shrugged it off. I went down to the airport and talked to a "supervisor". This miscreant apparently couldn't get a job at McDonalds. When I asked her if I could file a complaint she got angry and mumbled something about my being a PITA. I was this close to punching her but one of the armed security goons was standing outside the door. I called the TSA main office, they were little help also.

Tell me something. These people, many of which have a IQ that rivals that of a cabbage, are protecting us? BS. The TSA and their minions and talk a flying frigging leap as far as I'm concerned.

/rant off

#58 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

Apparently at Intercontinental Airport Houston (IAH) a baggage theft ring was detected, after luggage was found in a dumpster IN the airport:

http://chron.com/dis...nt/4429789.html
Nikon D3, 17-35mm f/2.8, 35-70mm f/2.8, 50mm 1.8, 70-300mm VR

#59 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 03:23 PM

ChrisJ,

The stolen and abandoned luggage was found several miles outside the airport in a dumpster behind a pet store. No one here is really talking about how the bags left the airport or whether it was an inside or outside job. But the Chronicle's article discusses how easy it would be to lift luggage from airport baggage claim areas.

Oddly, the article quotes a man that had his bag tags checked against his claim tickets in San Juan of all places. :D
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#60 RickM

RickM

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

I too, made my own "custom case". Like Matt said an uphostery shop is the place to get foam. Make sure you get the heavy duty stuff they use in chair cushions. If you want to cut out spaces for your gear the best thing to use is an electric knife! It works great, you can make just about any custom shape you need.

Still think the best defense is to carry as much as you can onboard with you.... and have good insurance.