• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#81 robsal

robsal

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

Sorry to hear about your losses. AS of date I have always carried on my stuff, but my rig was not that big. I was thinking about getting a pelican but now I'm going to stear away from that and continue to take everyhting on board.

#82 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

Saturday last I flew San Francisco - Chicago - Manchester. Pelicase was opened by the TSA contractor (they left a card!) at SF. When it arrived in Manchester one TSA lock was missing and 1 had been forced. Missing was a new Otter box containing CF card cases (all empty as I carry full CF cards with me - they are more valuable than the gear as far as I am concerned).

My guess at this stage is that the TSA checked everything and it was later opened by a thief who ignored the housing and flashes but who took a relatively easily pocketable item. This could have been in SF (most likely as most time), Chicago (possible but less time) or Manchester (unlikely as least time).

I intend to make a substantial stink with the airline, police, homeland security, TSA contractor and anyone else - as a matter of principle. As has been stated before, it would be only too easy to add something (a bomb/drugs/whatever) and as we had all been warned about an increased threat status being in place, this seems ludicrous to me. The value of the stolen item was not great (but could have been and the expensive bits are of course fully insured) but the fact that the theft happened in what should be an extremely secure system is totally unacceptable.

If I get anywhere I'll post the results.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#83 seank

seank

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:26 PM

Saturday last I flew San Francisco - Chicago - Manchester. Pelicase was opened by the TSA contractor (they left a card!) at SF. When it arrived in Manchester one TSA lock was missing and 1 had been forced. Missing was a new Otter box containing CF card cases (all empty as I carry full CF cards with me - they are more valuable than the gear as far as I am concerned).

My guess at this stage is that the TSA checked everything and it was later opened by a thief who ignored the housing and flashes but who took a relatively easily pocketable item. This could have been in SF (most likely as most time), Chicago (possible but less time) or Manchester (unlikely as least time).

I intend to make a substantial stink with the airline, police, homeland security, TSA contractor and anyone else - as a matter of principle. As has been stated before, it would be only too easy to add something (a bomb/drugs/whatever) and as we had all been warned about an increased threat status being in place, this seems ludicrous to me. The value of the stolen item was not great (but could have been and the expensive bits are of course fully insured) but the fact that the theft happened in what should be an extremely secure system is totally unacceptable.

If I get anywhere I'll post the results.

I have had my TSA locks taken off and not put back on more than one occassion. I have had my suitcase pried open and broken. Where exactly is the S in TSA? Isn't the point that our baggage should be secure?

#84 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

I am too sorry to hear of all the loss and luggage violations. But, am I missing something here? Something obvious? Why are none of you sending your stuff prior to flying via Fed Ex or similar?

Even prior to 9/11 David Doubilet was doing so already. Before he left NY, he already knew his gear was already safe and ready for assignment in Santa Barbara, Ca. Sure it costs more, but you can have it insured for the replacement value or more, you can track it exact location at any point and you can go light on your carry-on. If something gets broken in transit, you at least know about it ahead of time if your friend on the receiving end inspects and reports before you fly. Does it really take a NGM budget to do this?

Just seems logical to me to bypass the whole security injustice and airline irresponsibility.

Bo

I have had my TSA locks taken off and not put back on more than one occassion. I have had my suitcase pried open and broken. Where exactly is the S in TSA? Isn't the point that our baggage should be secure?

7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.

#85 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:34 PM

Great idea or...

The larger the object the harder to take/steal so why not get a hard to cut cable and thread it through all the bits and even anchor it to the pelican case itself. That way they can still see inspect the contents but it makes it very hard to take certain bits.

Plastic coated stainless steal cable is a bitch to cut even with bolt cutters.
Something like this motorcycle lock cable.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#86 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:04 PM

LOL....I just get this image of seeing this open and broken pelican case comming down the luggage shute with all housing parts in tow on a cable chain followed by a loose dome.

Great idea or...

The larger the object the harder to take/steal so why not get a hard to cut cable and thread it through all the bits and even anchor it to the pelican case itself. That way they can still see inspect the contents but it makes it very hard to take certain bits.

Plastic coated stainless steal cable is a bitch to cut even with bolt cutters.
Something like this motorcycle lock cable.

7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.

#87 Augie7000

Augie7000

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Wreck diving and wildlife photography ubove and below the water.

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

Wow that story is a real bummer. What I do is still use the Pelican but I camoflauge it in a nasty old canvas navy bag I got from Army Surplus. Stains and all so I place the locked Pelican inside that cover with all kinds of old moldy laundry for my trip home. On my way out evrything is clean so I just pack beach towel and beach clothes around it!

#88 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

Wow that story is a real bummer. What I do is still use the Pelican but I camoflauge it in a nasty old canvas navy bag I got from Army Surplus. Stains and all so I place the locked Pelican inside that cover with all kinds of old moldy laundry for my trip home. On my way out evrything is clean so I just pack beach towel and beach clothes around it!

Surely they'd still see what's in there as it goes thru an xray though? While they may not recognise a housing/ports/lenses, they'd be able to pick out that there's a camera body in there, or that it's a lot of technical looking stuff in a locked hard case?
Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#89 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:01 PM

Yea, I use an old, dirty duffle bag for my Pelicans.
It has a good betel juice stain (PNG inspection stamp!) right by the opening.
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#90 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:15 PM

I like having a 1500 Pelican along as a dry box on a boat so pack a well-used one in a duffel that gets checked in. However, the values go as carry-ons.

Back in the good old days of just a decade ago I did bring and check in a gigantic Pelican case on wheels (a model 16 hundred something?), which was difficult to keep under 70 pounds. Not possible to use this today unless sent empty. I remember rolling this case fully loaded, well over 100 pounds, from hotels, down streets, and onto docks on day-tripper dives in Mexico, BC, and HI. Those were the days. :)

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#91 divrndeep

divrndeep

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Scuba travel, UW photography, wildlife photography.

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

> Both Pelican cases made it home, but the Aquatica rig was no longer in the case nor were the ports, gears, or strobes.
Be warned if you are traveling with your rigs in one of these cases. They must scream "TAKE ME, I can be sold on eBay".<

I am paranoid after reading this post.
I am going to PNG in 18 days. How can I pack a Nikon D-200, lenses, strobes, L & M Titan housing and all that junk as a carry on? I have the Pelican 1610 case chock full.

Karen
Diverindeep.com

#92 jsmoriss

jsmoriss

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:23 PM

I carry everything on, except for some spare strobes, flashlights, etc.

Posted Image

js.

> Both Pelican cases made it home, but the Aquatica rig was no longer in the case nor were the ports, gears, or strobes.
Be warned if you are traveling with your rigs in one of these cases. They must scream "TAKE ME, I can be sold on eBay".<

I am paranoid after reading this post.
I am going to PNG in 18 days. How can I pack a Nikon D-200, lenses, strobes, L & M Titan housing and all that junk as a carry on? I have the Pelican 1610 case chock full.

Karen

Jean-Sebastien Morisset
MVPix.com : Underwater and Travel Stock Photos, Articles and Photographer Weblogs

#93 divrndeep

divrndeep

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

Good pics of the luggage set up.
What size are your/type packs are those?
Diverindeep.com

#94 divrndeep

divrndeep

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:43 PM

[quote name='jsmoriss' date='Mar 1 2008, 01:23 PM' post='160428']
I carry everything on, except for some spare strobes, flashlights, etc.

I cannot have 2 carry ons as of 2008 on Singapore Airlines. I guess I'm going to have to just say a prayer.
Diverindeep.com

#95 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

This thread might be useful over in the Gear Lust area:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=22986

We've been discussing the Think Tank Photo bags, and I've mentioned a couple of others that also looked like they might be usable to carry on much of the gear for plane flights: the Lowepro Vertex 300 AW and the Tamrac Adventure 9.

I just paid $200 for a Lowepro Vertex 300 via an ebay storefront. Since I now have my Ike housing, 8" dome port, etc. by scavenging sales by other wetpixel members, it'll be interesting to see how much I can really get into it. I'm suspecting the dome port will have to go in checked luggage with the scuba gear, wrapped up in my wetsuit (as well as it's own neoprene face cover). Arms would also be checked. But I'm pretty certain I'll be able to get the housing, camera body and backup, 3 lenses, macro port, and 2 DS50s with misc batteries, charger, and my laptop into the bag. Time shall tell....

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#96 jsmoriss

jsmoriss

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

Here's a break-down of my setup:

http://www.mvpix.com...yon-review.html

js.
Jean-Sebastien Morisset
MVPix.com : Underwater and Travel Stock Photos, Articles and Photographer Weblogs

#97 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

JS: how much does each of those bags weigh? Has an airline employee ever tried to weigh your carry-on?

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#98 jsmoriss

jsmoriss

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

Says right there in the article. :-)

"Each carry-on weighed 35-38lbs fully loaded."

js.

JS: how much does each of those bags weigh? Has an airline employee ever tried to weigh your carry-on?

Cheers
James

Jean-Sebastien Morisset

#99 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

I have a similar setup with a Lowepro Computrekker 17.

I have yet to have my carry on luggage weighed (knocks on wood)
Nikon D3, 17-35mm f/2.8, 35-70mm f/2.8, 50mm 1.8, 70-300mm VR

#100 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2101 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

More grief and a mystery...

There's nothing tougher than a Pelican, so I risk one. I had trouble for the first time ever last month: TSA in Guam removed a pony cylinder, but left my photo gear behind. I usually put one complete rig (housing, one strobe, one port, one lens etc) in a LowePro, but even that has been too heavy for British Airways of late (15lb/7kg).

As I was traveling back home I put my housing in the Pelican. All seemed OK when I got home, but when I opened the housing up I found that the rubber buffers were missing from the buttons on the back of the housing!

Is there a rubber-moth on Guam, or does someone in the TSA have a Nexus housing that has now been refurbished?

Tim

B)