11 replies to this topic

#1 erik

erik

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:26 AM

Anyone knows if news D70s could used in the D70 Sea & Sea housing?

Thank you

ERIK

#2 KenByrne

KenByrne

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:20 AM

All the dimensions and controls appear to be the same apart from the larger LCD. The general belief is that it will fit the same housing but I guess we have to wait ad see.
Ken Byrne
D70, Ikelite Housing

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:22 AM

That's a hard one to be certain about. Certainly the cameras have the same dimensions and from the images on DPReview, for example, the controls all seem to be in the same places. The back is the crucial area. because the the LCD screen bigger. Which means that you might not be able to see all of it on the housing. It seems to have expanded down and across to the right. The buttons thankfully seem in the same places.

The D70
Posted Image

The D70s
Posted Image

So I wouldn't want to say it is definite fit - but it looks a good bet.

Alex

p.s. Reviewing images as you shoot on the LCD is a critical part of digital shooting. Of course you can shoot without reviewing on the LCD - but then you might as well be shooting film. To get the most from digital it is important to constantly review and improve your images by critically reviewing them in the LCD. The larger LCD of the D70s is an important improvement in this regard, but having a housing that doesn't show all the screen is not a wise choice. Maybe you know someone who could make a larger window in the housing for you?

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 timing

timing

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:01 AM

Or just buy a housing like the Ike or Nexus where the different LCD sizes would make no difference?

#5 erik

erik

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:56 AM

Thank you guys! Maybe for Sea & Sea housing it will be necessary to change only the back part of the housing, or maybe it will be ok with ald polycardonate back shell ....

I will try it and post news

ERIK

#6 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:53 AM

D100_pro.jpg Thanks to Alex for the nice illustrations. Seeing the D70 and D70s side by side it appears none of the rear camera controls are in a different position. See how the LCD is scalloped out to accommodate the AF zone control ... to me that means they used the same body configuration. Which means the cameras should be interchangeable in existing D70 housings.

As mentioned previously, any housing which has an oversized clear back, such as Seacam, Ikelite, Nexus, etc. should seamlessly integrate D70s.

At least that's my prediction until we have one to actually slip inside a housing and know for sure.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:12 AM

Hi Steve,

Thanks. Can you re-attach the photo? It doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks,
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#8 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:39 AM

Thinking about it, many housings will probably be OK and will show the entire new LCD screen. The two that immediately occur to me as troublemakers are the Subal and the Sealux.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#9 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:21 AM

I did a bit of layer overlapping in photoshop to see the size difference between the two LCD, mmmm! my conclusion baring in mind the shot above are not exactly at the same angle, is that all housing brand on the market should fit "sans probleme" the window is bigger but the actual LCD is not that much bigger. thank's Alex for posting the shots.

I have received the D70s just 5 minutes ago, will put it in an Aquatica today if I can and confirm.

Regards
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#10 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

Well it's a shoe in, perfect fit in an Aquatica.

Cheers everyone

Attached Images

• DSCN7304.jpg

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#11 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:04 PM

Well confirmed, after toying with the D70s an a Aquatica housing for the day it's all the same housing wise, nothing vital as been changed, that is a refreshing change ! :) anybody out there has been using the camera ?

Cheers

Attached Images

• DSCN7305.jpg
  • DSCN7307.jpg

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#12 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:29 PM

Thanks Jean - I have added this to the homepage.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org