• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 sean

sean

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 02:26 PM

I've had decent results setting the camera (a Canon S40) to "daylight" balance when shooting using ambient light -- this resulted in color that was the most like what you actually see through your mask. Auto-white balance doesn't work at all! Even still I tend to have to do lots of manipulation 'in post' to get things looking right.

I'll be interested to see how my D60 handles the light u/w, can't wait oh boy oh boy.

#22 Rud-gr

Rud-gr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:EDM, travel, scuba and wintersports photographer & Journalist. Works for cool clients like National Geographic, Bacardi-Martini, Heineken, Q-dance, UMF & ID&T.

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:24 AM

I have been using manual WB with my Canon S40 and have been very satisfied with it.
Best to do so at every 5 meters of depth, otherwise your shots are a bit off.
Lamps and flashes can't bu used when on manual though and other people's lamps look red in the picture (which is sometimes actually very nice)

Some samples:
http://www.rud-gr.com/temp3.htm
Rutger Geerling
Rudgr.com (Facebook, Instagram)
EDM, travel, scuba and wintersports photographer & Journalist. Works for cool clients like National Geographic, Bacardi-Martini, Heineken, Q-dance, UMF & ID&T.
Canon EOS 5D + UK-Germany Housing & 2x Inon Z240 strobes.

#23 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 06:18 AM

If any of you are so fortunate to be closer to a good diving spot you should try a little test to see the results of different wb settings. I would be curious to see the results.

So far it apears to be speedlight and point your camera at a slate but, if I read right, that was not actually compared to other settings underwater.

I believe those too were the settings I used but I also need to go back and review the info to confirm.
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#24 mellingson

mellingson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 08:07 PM

Isn't the idea of white balance to correct color for a given light source. And if so, shooting at white needs to be done while the lighting condition is active. I've opted to use HID lights and a white background. Lights are focused on my white object, therefore giving me a correct WB